OverviewRegion of Waterloo Financial Assistant (PHE&CSD) Full Time in Kitchener, ON
Region of Waterloo
Branch Kitchener ON CA
Financial Assistant (PHE&CSD)
Please contact Human Resources & Citizen Service Reception at phone number (519-575-4757 ext.3527), TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format….
Provides s upport and service for the financial delivery activities for Community Services (CSD) and Public Health & Emergency Services (PHE); participates in preparing the operating and capital budget, budget updating and control, expenditure reporting, and accounting activities; prepares budget submissions, subsidy claims, and year end financial statements for assigned Provincial and Federal programs operated by the Region; prepares monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad-hoc reports; conducts financial studies or projects as required; and responds to client inquiries.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of financial and management accounting practices and principles , financial and systems analysis, and general business and economic principles, normally acquired through the attainment of a Bachelors Degree in Finance, Business, Commerce, Economics, Mathematics, or equivalent, and current enrolment or eligibility for enrolment in the Strategic Leadership Program (CMA) or the Professional Studies (Pace Level) Program (CGA), plus three years related work experience.
- Proven skill in financial analysis, budget preparation, and report writing.
- Knowledge of Municipal financial accounting policies and procedures, Provincial and Federal programs, funding and cost sharing relationships. Knowledge of funding section of legislation and regulations of the Ontario Works Act, Ontario Disability Support Act, Day Nurseries Act, Homes for the Aged Act, Ambulance Act, Health Protection and Promotion Act, and Municipal Act.
- Proficiency in the operation of a computer, using such software as Excel, Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, and related financial systems, as well as an aptitude for the development and use of computer systems, databases, and spreadsheets. Understanding of other financial and program support systems, such as Social Assistance Management System, Ontario Child Care Management System, Banner, Crystal Reports, and how such systems affect accounting and reporting requirements.
- Ability to interact with professionalism, tact, and judgement on a variety of matters and obtain the cooperation of a wide range of persons, both within the Region and outside the organization. Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Ability to travel within and outside the Region.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply technical and policy literature related to area of responsibility.
- Ability to complete subsidy claim forms and draft various reports for the Manager, Budgets & Financial Services (PHE/CSD) and Financial Analyst; prepare correspondence and reports to various departments to obtain required information or provide financial direction or information to staff; prepare Ministry financial statements and information which is used in reports to Committee and Council.
- Ability to explain and interpret complex and technical financial or system information in an understandable manner to an audience which may have limited knowledge of it; discuss, review, explain, and provide information on budget submissions and claims with Regional staff and staff from various Provincial Ministries and Federal Agencies; respond to inquiries and interpretations of departmental budgets; explain complex subsidy allocations and cost-sharing formulas to Regional and Ministry staff; and review and explain information at meetings with managers and other Regional staff.
Thank you for your interest in this job, but we will only be corresponding with you if you are selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact Human Resources & Citizen Service Reception at phone number (519-575-4757 ext.3527), TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 05, 2015 quoting competition number 2015-1592 , or send your resume to: The Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Human Resources, 150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Kitchener, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-07-31