OverviewRegion of Peel Health Data Analyst, Health Analytics Full Time in Mississauga, ON
Region of Peel
Branch Mississauga ON CA
Health Data Analyst, Health Analytics
Health Data Analyst, Health Analytics. Access to and provision of specialized health care data sets via other Region of Peel Health Services areas, external…
Health Data Analyst, Health Analytics
Health Services – Internal Client Services
“The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads. That sucks.” - Jeff Hammerbacher
Brilliant data and computer science, math and statistics are applied every day to marketing and for profit business problems. Do we need more people making tech billionaires slightly richer? Opportunities abound in healthcare.
While many Cities and Municipalities around the world have developed analytical methods and algorithms to help better focus constrained resources and impact people’s lives, there is still massive untapped potential. The Region of Peel Health Analytics team is interested in recruiting creative, inquisitive and entrepreneurial individuals who can think differently about how we can use health, demographic, operational and behavioural data to help make people healthier. The Region of Peel has a population of approximately 1.4 million people, operates five Long Term Care Homes, Seniors Services, Paramedic Services and provides Public Health functions for its population. This provides unique opportunities for investigation internally and many inroads to the broader health system that can lead to meaningful innovation and measurable improvement to our population’s quality of life.
Working with the Health Analytics team, the Health Data Analyst within the Health Analytics section of the Internal Client Services Division you will have the opportunity to help build new capabilities as we grow the Health Analytics function. This role is responsible for performing, communicating and implementing key health system data analysis work related to data management, analysis, manipulation and integration in a multi-program, multi-sector health services environment. The position reports to the Manager of Health Analytics and will perform analytics database/GIS work, data mining activities, visualization solutions and support ongoing health services operations, planning and outcomes measurement work within program areas and other specialized health sector areas. The position will be responsible for data analysis activities that will support policy development, operational planning and the implementation of the Health Services Strategy. The Health Analytics team is relatively new within the Region and is continuing to build its capabilities and functions from the ground up. We are seeking individuals who are willing to help shape our services and define what Health Analytics can achieve.
- Support complex and specialized statistical/spatial analysis and problem-solving utilizing data from widely varied sources to help identify key insights and health system opportunities to help achieve program objectives.
- Mine historical data to discover trends and patterns and support the development of algorithms to validate existing assumptions and processes.
- Support the design of, and perform sophisticated data visualization, advanced web graphics and interactive tools to make large datasets coherent in order to better understand patterns and explain complex issues and results to decision-makers and partners.
- Considerable application of functional data management, data access/security practices, PHIPA compliance, data structure architecting, data cleansing, and data visualization (conventional, web-based and interactive), performance measurement, statistical analysis and data integration.
- Access to and provision of specialized health care data sets via other Region of Peel Health Services areas, external government and non-governmental partners, and maintenance of health data set access requirements and credentials.
- Develop internal relationships with client groups to ensure Health Analytics solutions align with the Corporate BI and Information Management Strategies, support interdepartmental group efforts to deliver integrated BI/Analytics solutions for clients and implement effective tools. This includes consultative work to determine, document and prioritize client needs, develop business cases, implement projects and communicate findings.
- Provide core support to the design and delivery of assigned projects including developing and implementing analytical methodologies, collecting, validating, staging and processing data and other project deliverables as assigned.
- Perform Administrator functions for specialized ICS databases.
- Adhere to all policies, standards, procedures and best practices within Health Services and the Region, including the following areas: Health information privacy, data integration, linkage of health information data sets, data warehousing, data quality, and data utilization.
- Maintain general awareness of industry trends and best practices and apply to project work and contributions to the ongoing development of the Health Analytics function.
- Communicate with management and various stakeholders regarding findings and analysis.
- Maintain collaborative and supportive working relationships with key stakeholders and other key internal and external groups contributing to health services program areas.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eagerness to ask un-asked questions, imagine new ways of using data and tenaciously experiment is mandatory.
- A Master’s or Bachelor’s degree with 2-3 years’ experience in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Spatial Analysis, Actuarial Science or a Data Science related discipline.
- Proficiency with data visualization tools and programming languages (eg: Processing, D3, Python, etc.) as well as the ability create custom visualizations using combinations of open source and commercial tools is required.
- Ability to apply advanced analytics, descriptive and predictive modeling skills utilizing statistical software packages such as SPSS, STATA, R, geographic information systems such as ArcGIS, text analytics tools and other analytical programming languages.
- Ability to use a sophisticated blend of classical and advanced components like machine learning, pattern recognition, databases, traditional statistics, spatial analysis, mapping and graphics to present hidden relationships and patterns found within structured and unstructured data sets.
- Proficient in use of MS office tools, including Excel and Access
- Experience with the creation and manipulation of databases.
Compensation : Band 6 – As per Non-Union Salary Structure plus comprehensive benefits
Location: 7120 Hurontario Street, Mississauga
Hours of work: 35 hours/week – Monday through Friday
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online and complete the questionnaire
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-01