OverviewPowell – CDN Applications Engineer Full Time in Acheson, AB
Powell – CDN
Branch Acheson AB CA
Review cost-related data for the specific product. Keeping us on the cutting edge of new products and. Powell People Solve Tough Problems….
Powell People Solve Tough Problems
As a top player in Switchgear and E-house Manufacturing,
Field & Valve Servicing, a career with us will challenge
you to solve some tough problems. You will be rewarded
with growth, personal development & industry expertise.
At Powell, we appreciate our employees by providing a
comprehensive salary package, RRSP matching, extensive
benefits and job training all within a professional &
friendly working environment.
Who We Are
Powell Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of Powell Industries,
which is located in Houston, Texas. Globally, we have
over 60 years of experience. Powell Canada is a
reputable electrical manufacturing, valve servicing and
electrical/instrumentation contracting company. We hold
a strong industry presence with offices located in
Edmonton, Acheson, Vancouver, Calgary, Redwater, Fort
McMurray, Lloydminster, Montreal and Saskatoon.
Powell strives to create one unified company through
training, communication and leadership. We offer
diversified services based on our customer’s needs,
keeping us on the cutting edge of new products and
services within our industry.
Powell is currently seeking an Applications Engineer
based out of the Electrical Division Edmonton (EDE)
location. Reporting to the Estimating Supervisor of the
Sales & Estimating department, the Applications Engineer
will be responsible for technical proposal preparation
and completing accurate estimates of required material
items and required labor hours for Switchgear and PCR
line-ups to remain competitive in the market place. This
position provides functional support to the sales team
and is charged with preparing the cost budget for a
project based on the customer’s specific drawings and
- Reviews project inquiry (customer) documentation
including specification, data sheets and all project
specific drawings to gain a complete understanding
of the project scope from a technical and commercial
- Develops detailed and comprehensive proposals that
accurately depict the requirements of scope of work
provided with the customer RFQ package and comply
with local and industry standards as well as
- Analyzes specifications and drawings and prepares
suitable comments and or exceptions necessary to
convey a clear message to our customers regarding
Powell compliance with the requirements of the
- Create Basis of Estimate and Basis of Schedule
documents to accompany the estimate.
- Acquire and provide technical leadership to
supporting departments such as sales and other
- Work with various project teams to facilitate the
use of estimating tools and processes to produce
accurate, reputable proposals.
- Prepare and present overviews of proposals to
clients and internal stakeholders as required.
- Review cost-related data for the specific product
and conduct appropriate data analysis using
statistical tools and performance measurements;
works with the production engineering staff;
manufacturing engineering and operations departments
in order to institute accurate labor and material
forecasting factors into pricing systems.
- Other duties as required.
- Planning – Prioritizes activities, effectively
establishes appropriate courses of action, and
monitors progress. Anticipates potential outcomes in
order to effectively prioritize workload.
- Decision Making – Exercises good judgement in order
to make well-informed decisions. Drives decisions to
closure with good data and understanding of
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to
solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Customer Focus – Sees the world through the eyes of
our customers (internal and external), understands
their needs, and exceeds their expectations.
- Accountability – Holds self accountable, fully
commits to agree upon plans and strategies and takes
action to achieve them.
- Strong written, listening, and oral communication
skills. Able to communicate complex technical
information in a simple and understandable way.
- Understanding of local codes such as the Canadian
electrical code and Alberta Building Code.
- Understanding of cost estimating concepts,
techniques and work flows including documentation of
estimate input data and version control.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in an Electrical
Engineering discipline from an accredited technical
institute, college or University.
- 1-5 years of experience in an Estimating or an
Engineering role in the engineering or construction
fields; EPCM experience is an asset.
- Structural Engineering experience is an asset.
- Experience with vendors and components for common
commercial/industrial power distribution, motor
controls, process control, and lighting projects.
- AutoCAD experience is an asset.
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to
work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer,
only those candidates selected for an interview will be
contacted. Powell Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Acheson, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-01