OverviewOxfam Canada Program Officer, Field Operations Contract in Ottawa, ON
Branch Ottawa ON CA
Program Officer, Field Operations
Masters-level education in a related field and/or professional training in project management; Internal/External Posting Notice….
Internal/External Posting Notice
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DEADLINE: July 19, 2016
Full-time, 1 year term, unionized
Manager, Field Operations
$56,107 – $73,833
Oxfam Canada (OC) is an international development agency with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality, committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to build the capacity of civil society in the Global South. As a founding member of Oxfam International, Oxfam Canada works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence locally, nationally and globally.
S COPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Manager of Field Operations, the Program Officer (PO) has a dual mandate. S/he:
The PO supports staff in Country Offices and regions, and the Manager, to maintain effective operational and reporting relationships with Head Office in Ottawa, funders and other stakeholders. The PO may also engage with a range of external stakeholders to promote Oxfam programs, advance good practices and disseminate learnings.
Successful completion of this mandate requires the PO to negotiate and maintain effective working relations with a range of stakeholders, including: staff of Country Offices, Head Office colleagues in the International Programs, Organizational Services and Public Engagement Departments, as well as partners and allies, funders, governments and agencies.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES : (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
Project Implementation Support (approximately 85 % level of effort)
- Monitor the implementation of a designated portfolio of projects, providing timely and quality support to Country Office staff directly managing projects. This includes oversight of compliance with program plans and budgets and providing advisory support to in-country staff;
- Ensure timely submission of accurate and quality narrative and financial reports in accordance with contractual requirements;
- Ensure accurate annual and cumulative project budgeting, and accurate and timely monitoring of planned project spending as a key contribution to Oxfam’s financial operations;
- Oversee contractual agreements with international stakeholders, partners and consultants beyond the reach of the Country Office, leading on reporting, liaison and accountability functions with these agencies;
- Advise on appropriate project management documents and tools (logic models, performance measurement frameworks, budgets)
- Support Country Office staff in the documentation and dissemination of program experiences and lessons learned, in keeping with Oxfam guidelines and standards;
- Monitor, from both field and desk, partner agreements, work plans, reports and performance for compliance with program contracts;
- Maintain a current understanding of development issues including Canadian government policies and programs) related to the designated project portfolio;
New Business Development (approximately 10% effort)
- Conduct background research;
- Review and provide quality control support to Country Offices for proposals developed in response to sudden emergencies or standing calls for proposals;
- Advise on results-based management documents and tools (logic models, performance measurement frameworks, work breakdown structures, budgets); and,
- Participate in the negotiation of contribution/grant agreements and facilitate project inception processes.
Institutional Engagement and Representation (5% Level of Effort)
- Engage in organizational processes including team meetings, working groups and committees as assigned;
- Ensure effectiveness of cross-organizational linkages with Organizational Services and Public Engagement Departments, and the Centre for Gender Justice;
- Engage in select public engagement activities that may include preparation of briefs and other materials, public speaking and media work representing Oxfam; and
- Ensure effective linkages and communications with external stakeholders including the Canadian public (including diaspora communities and Oxfam members), as well as donors, coalitions, networks and other audiences.
Other related duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES :
- University degree in a related field;
- 3-5 years’ experience in a humanitarian organization, including one year of international experience;
- Understanding of the policies, practices and requirements of a range of institutional funders, especially DFATD
- Excellent written and spoken English and Spanish, including strong analytical and report-writing capability in both languages;
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, including demonstrated experience managing accountability processes (contract compliance including financial and narrative reporting);
- Strong interpersonal and team skills;
- Analytical understanding of and demonstrated experience in women’s rights and gender equality, and the capacity building of civil society organizations;
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and data base systems, use of social networking;
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings; and
- Ability to undertake international travel, sometimes in difficult circumstances.
The following qualifications are considered significant assets:
- Masters-level education in a related field and/or professional training in project management;
- Experience in innovative approaches to monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience in the documentation and dissemination of project and program learning;
This position offers a comprehensive Benefits package.
Interviews will be held July 21st.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-07-09