OverviewOrion Group Lead Controls System Engineer Contract in St. John’s, NL
Branch St. John’s NL CA
Lead Controls System Engineer
St. John’s, NL
Operating facilities and marketing products in the majority of the world’s countries, they also carry out exploration for oil and natural gas in six continents….
Lead Controls System Engineer
Our client is an international Oil & Gas company providing energy worldwide. Operating facilities and marketing products in the majority of the world’s countries, they also carry out exploration for oil and natural gas in six continents.
They are currently recruiting for the position of Lead Controls System Engineer, based in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada.
The Main Instrumentation and Controls Contractor (MICC) Lead & Control Systems Engineer stewards all phases of control systems engineering. He/she ensures that the Project’s requirements, as detailed in the Technical Specifications, for all control systems engineering are carried out faithfully, and in a timely fashion. Stewards control/safety system engineering aspects of the Project with other discipline leads on the PMT, as necessary. Oversees the work of the MICC Project Manager and his/her organization including site work at fabrication and integration facilities. Stewards the interfaces among the PMT, MICC organization, and the EPC contractor’s organization with respect to control and safety systems to ensure quality and minimize change orders.
- Provide overall control system engineering technical leadership and expertise
- Steward the MICC and EPC contractor’s activities with respect to control and safety systems including:
- Detail control system engineering
- Development of control system logic
- Development and design of the control system and safety system
- Development of the schedule, recommended deliverables, and labor hour estimate for control systems
- Measurement and reporting of physical progress
- Selection, specification, and inspection of control system components
- Control System estimates for weight control report
- Review, evaluate, and advise:
- Control system specifications and logic
- Development of Control Philosophy, SIS Philosophy, and ESD hierarchy
- Compliance with design methods and safety factors to be used in design of project. Reviews completed design for correctness, compliance, and operability
- Operability of the unit or plant for start-up, normal, turndown, and shutdown modes. Reviews or sets design basis for abnormal operating conditions
- Technical bid tabulations for control and safety systems
- Provide input for shop tests and Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs), protocols and the events themselves
- Steward the MICC site support activities with respect to control and safety systems including:
- Development and stewardship of the Company Instrument General Query (IGQ) process for control system management of change
- Identifying and planning work tasks for MICC site support engineers and technicians
- Working with commissioning to support the sequential handover of systems and sub-systems
- Providing disposition to changes in engineering design or deviations to specification based on thorough review and understanding of the problems encountered through mechanical completion and systems completions
- Engaging home office engineering as required to make engineering changes in line with schedule requirements
Skills & Experience
- Thorough and extensive knowledge of: Control System engineering principles, theories, and concepts; Applicable codes, standards, and trade practices
- Thorough knowledge and expert judgment in the selection and application of control system hardware
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Vast closely related professional engineering experience, considerable which should be at the Senior Control Systems Engineer level
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software programs, Lotus Notes, etc.
- Read, write, and speak fluent English, especially as it applies to technical communications
- Ability to adapt to tight deadlines, heavy workloads, and frequent changes in priorities
This is a contract position.
The rate for this position is negotiable.
If you feel that you are well suited to the above opportunity and would like to find out more then please contact Orion Group for more information or apply by forwarding your current CV quoting reference 902665.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Saint John's, NL, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-21