OverviewOCEANEX INC. Marine Safety, Quality & Environment Manager Full Time in St. John’s, NL
Branch St. John’s NL CA
Marine Safety, Quality & Environment Manager
St. John’s, NL
Develop, implement and monitor company processes and procedures for continuous improvement to maintain the highest level of safety and quality within our marine…
As part of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, OCEANEX INC. is Atlantic Canada’s leader in intermodal transportation that has serviced the Newfoundland market for more than 100 years. We provide door-to-door transportation service from anywhere in North America to destinations in Newfoundland and Labrador.
We are proud to offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits (medical, dental, eye care, short and long term income benefits, and life insurance) as well as an entrepreneurial environment with solid career progression based on a result and process driven culture. When you are a member of the Oceanex team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged and skills valued.
MARINE SAFETY, QUALITY & ENVIRONMENT MANAGER
We are currently searching for a dynamic Marine Safety, Quality & Environment Manager (MSQE) to monitor operations relating the Safety Management System (SMS) under ISM Code and manage quality and environmental functions as they relate to marine fleet of vessels.
Reporting to the Fleet Manager, this position, as the ISM designated person ashore, has direct access to the Company’s senior management, and has discretion to intervene in any organizational or operational activity to verify that the intentions and requirements of the SMS and the ISM Code standards are implemented and maintained and is authorized to initiate immediate corrective action. Tasks and responsibilities are but not limited to:
• Establish reliable methods and systems for improving safety, health and environmental performance;
• Conduct proactive strategic assessments of safety/quality/environmental costs and provide continuous evaluation of trends and best practices in these areas;
• Develop, implement and monitor company processes and procedures for continuous improvement to maintain the highest level of safety and quality within our marine fleet through incident, near miss and accident investigations, audits, assessments, discussions and meetings with key shipboard personnel;
• Carry out the functions required to maintain quality and environmental certifications, as well as voluntary industry initiatives such as Green Marine;
• Promote and maintain a culture in which safety is the overriding value in all activities and in which every team member sees “safe” operations as their top priority;
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & skills
• Master Mariner certification or equivalent preferably with sea going experience on multi-purpose container / RoRo vessel operations;
• Career experience and post-secondary studies in Safety, Quality & Environment;
• Broad knowledge of safety, compliance and quality regulatory requirements and transportation of dangerous goods;
• Background in marine safety management and quality systems such as ISM and ISO;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Proficiency in MS Office; experience with computerized ship management systems;
• Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset;
• Willing to do some travel.
For the full description of this position, please visit our website at www.oceanex.com .
Please note that this position is permanent. Compensation is in the range of $80,000 to $120,000 plus an incentive plan, subject to change depending on qualifications and experience of the candidate.
You are interested and believe you have the skills we are looking for? Please forward your resume as soon as possible to:
Human Resources Department
Baine Johnston Center
10 Fort William Place
St. John’s NL A1C 1K4
Please refer to the position title in the email subject line of your submission.
Oceanex Inc. is committed to equity in employment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all candidates for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. See Oceanex at www.oceanex.com
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: St. John's, NL, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23