OverviewNorthlands Temporary Journeyman Carpenter Temporary in Edmonton, AB
Branch Edmonton AB CA
Temporary Journeyman Carpenter
Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade. This position performs skilled hand and bench carpentry duties, including the…
This is where it starts!
No matter who you are, chances are you’ve experienced something amazing at Northlands, Northern Alberta’s premier entertainment and business destination. We are a not-for-profit, community service organization that owns and operates Rexall Place, the Edmonton EXPO Centre and Northlands Park Racetrack and Casino – the venues where you can hear Edmontonians cheering out loud.
Northlands is currently recruiting for a Carpenter (Temporary – 3 Months) to assist with workload. Work involves the application of carpentry skills and knowledge in constructing, maintaining, altering and repairing buildings, furniture and equipment. This position performs skilled hand and bench carpentry duties, including the operation of power woodworking equipment. Assignments are received in the form of oral or written instructions, sketches, or blueprints. A foreman inspects work in progress and upon completion for adherence to instructions and trade standards.
Typical duties are to perform carpentry work in the construction, alteration and maintenance of buildings, floors, roofs, partitions, doors, windows, porches and wooden fixtures. Repairs and builds fences, bleachers, stages, props, rodeo chutes, animal crates and similar structures. Installs various building hardware on doors, screens, windows, and furniture, installs and glazes windows and door glass, installs signage. Repairs and builds office and other furniture. Performs skilled bench work in a carpenter shop, operating power saws, jointers, wood lathes, planers, boring, sanding, mortising machines, and other related work as required.
Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of the standard methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment of the carpentry trade.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to work safely with a variety of power tools.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions and to interpret plans and sketches.
- Skill in the use and care of the tools, equipment and materials of the trade.
- Possession of an Alberta Journeyman Carpenter Qualification Certificate or equivalent which must include possession of Interprovincial Red Seal when applicable to the Carpentry trade.
- Must possess a valid Alberta Class 5 drivers license (abstract must be provided upon request).
CUPE Local #30 requires that all union members forward a copy of their application to: CUPE Local #30 10425 Princess Elizabeth Avenue Edmonton, AB T5G 0Y5. As per the collective agreement, the union wage for this position is $37.19 per hour.
Northlands is known for hosting the best in sports and entertainment in the Northern Alberta region. Boasting three venues across nearly 160 acres, Northlands is the site of Rexall Place, the Edmonton EXPO Centre and Northlands Park Racetrack & Casino.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-05-23