OverviewNorthern College of Applied Arts and Technology Skilled Trades Worker, Comp. Full Time in Kirkland Lake, ON
Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology
Branch Kirkland Lake ON CA
Skilled Trades Worker, Comp.
Kirkland Lake, ON
Have a Provincial Trades Certificate in the trade of Construction and Maintenance Electrician, with a provincial endorsement in the field of Electronics….
At Northern College, we’re driven by our commitment to the ongoing success and development of our students, our communities and our staff. A career with Northern College can provide you with meaningful opportunities for your professional growth, and we’re confident that our friendly, collaborative workplace culture will contribute to your personal growth as well.
In addition, to a rewarding career, some of the other benefits offered to eligible full-time employees of Northern College include competitive salaries, a defined-benefit pension plan, a comprehensive benefits package, access to our athletics facilities and a wellness program.
Reporting to the Manager, Plant & Property, the incumbent will:
• carry out skilled work in the general upkeep, maintenance and repair of campus buildings and equipment, and installs new building services and systems, ensuring that health and safety standards are met in the operation and control of building systems
• analyze and repair electrical and electronic heating (and otherwise) control systems, in a timely manner to ensure the safety of staff and students
• liaise with various suppliers and contractors in carrying out duties
• ensure that Health and Safety policies and procedures are followed
• keep the campus’s mechanical and electrical systems operational
• plan technical requirements for installation of new electrical wiring and equipment
• contact suppliers and contractors and schedules maintenance and visits as needed. Maintains appropriate department inventory. Ensures purchased items arrive as per ordered, in good condition.
• ensures Health and Safety policies and procedures are followed by suppliers and contractors, as needed, and by student workers. Monitors outcomes
• act as the Physical Resources representative at the campus
• maintain/repair damaged or deteriorated interior and exterior building finishes through demand work orders or planned preventative maintenance
• perform general grounds keeping duties
A detailed job description for this position is available in the Human Resource Services Division.
QUALIFICATIONS: The applicant must:
• have a two (2) year Electrical Technician diploma
• have a Provincial Trades Certificate in the trade of Construction and Maintenance Electrician, with a provincial endorsement in the field of Electronics
• have the following courses: Building Maintenance control systems software; Gas Fitter 2; Glass G Drivers License, First Aid, CPR and AED; Electrical Code Book Updates is also a requirement
• have at least 5 years of experience in Construction and Maintenance Electrician; High voltage systems and switchgear; experience with “building management” control system; skilled in the areas related to carpentry, refrigeration, plumbing and heating; fuels safety/electrical/fire and building codes; fire alarm; estimating and purchasing; troubleshouting (without schematics or assistance); operating groups equipment; large building maintenance.
Proof of valid WHMIS/WHMIS Review card is a requirement for employment with Northern College.
Northern College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Successful candidate may be required to provide a criminal reference check.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Kirkland Lake, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-09