OverviewNorthbridge Underwriting Specialist Full Time in Calgary, AB
Branch Calgary AB CA
Federated Insurance, operating through dedicated sales agents, and, Zenith Insurance, which sells personal lines….
“The Power of Together” Join a growing and dynamic company combining to create a revitalized organization that has a long and rich history in providing commercial, personal and specialized insurance in Canada.
The Northbridge Family includes Northbridge Insurance, supporting our broker partners; Federated Insurance, operating through dedicated sales agents, and, Zenith Insurance, which sells personal lines. One of Canada’s leading commercial P&C insurance companies, Northbridge boasts $1.3 billion in premiums.
Job Purpose The Underwriting Specialist is responsible for underwriting and servicing increasingly complex accounts in accordance with established guidelines and business objectives in the achievement of national standards for data quality and service levels. The Underwriting Specialist will be expected to solve complex problems by applying a broad perspective to identify solutions and also in interpreting internal and external business issues and recommending best practices.
- Responsible for the successful evaluation, selection, negotiation, and pricing for assigned policies in order to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting authority.
- Develop and maintain a professional relationship with brokers and/or customers to enhance understanding of the target market and to contribute to quality service, problem solving, and risk selection.
- Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls in accordance to national standards and regulatory standards and policies.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of company operations and procedures, including demographic, economic, and social characteristics to increase market share.
- Mentor and train less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Provide input to their Manager or Division Head on various underwriting, strategic, staffing and other issues as requested.
- Work collaboratively on special projects and assignments requiring advanced technical skills and knowledge when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary school education and/or equivalent on the job experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in the property and casualty industry
- Broad knowledge and understanding of underwriting discipline and pricing models.
- Working knowledge of company underwriting philosophy, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information, statuary constraints, and computer workflow procedures.
- Ability to work within and adapt to PC oriented environments, including familiarity with e-mail and Internet skills. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Completion of the CIP/FCIP designation.
- Demonstrated proficiency at managing multiple and changing priorities/projects, and delivering results.
- Demonstrated proficiency and resourcefulness in identifying and analyzing relevant data and defining critical issues and alternatives.
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of performance and goals.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated presentation skills.
- Ability to foster and build good working relationships with brokers, customers and business areas inside and outside the work unit.
- Able to work with long-term perspective in addressing broker or business area problems/issues.
- Ability to influence decisions and gain agreement and/or support on sensitive issues.
- Ability to focus on the broker and customer needs, ensuring a high quality of service is provided
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional and technical development.
Application Process Interested applicants should apply online quoting the job reference number and job title in their application.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-23