OverviewNorthbridge Underwriter Full Time in Vancouver, BC
Branch Vancouver BC CA
Able to work with long-term perspective in addressing broker or business area problems/issues. Collaborate with brokers and customers to assist in business…
The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting and servicing moderately complex accounts in accordance with established guidelines and business objectives in the achievement of national standards for data quality and service levels.
Responsible for the successful evaluation, selection, negotiation, and pricing for assigned policies in order to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting authority.
- Execute individual pricing and risk selection decisions within the assigned underwriting authority and in accordance to corporate guidelines for correct pricing techniques.
- Refer and redirect requests for pricing decision and risk selection for risks beyond personal authority, along with recommendations.
- Complete data entry of policy information to ensure timeliness of transactions.
- Ensure endorsements, renewals, reissues, and cancellations are reviewed and analyzed in accordance with corporate standards and guidelines.
- Assist in achieving renewal rate and exposure and rate adequacy guidelines.
- Analyze new business for risk profitability with guidance from a more senior underwriter by assessing exposures and hazards as determined by review of underwriting data.
Develop and maintain a professional relationship with brokers and/or customers to enhance understanding of the target market and to contribute to quality service, problem solving, and risk selection.
- Understand and adhere to service standards in accordance with company guidelines.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends, developments, and regulatory changes including competitive analysis and information, and ensure all necessary broker management systems are updated and current.
- Collaborate with brokers and customers to assist in business retention and customer satisfaction through regular interactions.
- Investigate customers’ risk factors relative to corporate pricing approach to gain support, agreement and enhance relationships.
- Participate in the communication and education of brokers concerning the corporate underwriting philosophy, policies, and procedures as required.
Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls in accordance to national standards and regulatory standards and policies.
- Monitor trends and developments identifying areas of concern regarding loss ratios, risk trends, or other discrepancies.
- Assist in the price monitoring, risk selection and data quality performance reviews.
Mentor and train less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Provide support staff with clear instructions and explanations for data entry to ensure accuracy and service standards are maintained.
- Assist in the training of associate underwriters, underwriter trainees and support staff.
Work collaboratively on special projects and assignments when required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary school education and/or equivalent on the job experience.
- Minimum 1-3 years experience in the property and casualty industry.
- Excellent keyboarding and data entry skills.
- Actively pursuing CIP/FCIP designation.
- Ability to quickly develop a working knowledge of company underwriting philosophy, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information, statuary constraints, and computer workflow procedures.
- Proficiency at managing multiple and changing priorities/projects, and delivering results.
- Commitment to high standards of customer service, job performance and professional development goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency and resourcefulness in identifying and analyzing relevant data as well as defining critical issues and alternatives.
- Ability to foster and build good long-term working relationships with brokers, customers and business areas inside and outside the work unit.
- Able to work with long-term perspective in addressing broker or business area problems/issues.
- Strong conflict resolution, analytical and decision-making skills.
Northbridge welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Interested, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply below.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-06-03