OverviewNorth Island College Accountant Temporary in Comox Valley, BC
North Island College
Branch Comox Valley BC CA
Comox Valley, BC
Active accounting designation or actively pursuing an accounting designation with minimum enrolment in the 3rd level;…
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accountant is responsible for assigned aspects of the financial database system, preparation of periodic financial reports, and internal audit. The Accountant is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, incorporating and practicing the values in everything they do.
– Job Knowledge
– Planning & Organization
– Customer Service Excellence
– Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintain the general ledger chart of accounts including record level security in Colleague and FAST.
2. Maintain Caseware and Caseview files as required for periodic reporting.
3. Prepare external reports to meet legal and statutory requirements and deadlines.
4. Prepare journal entries for approval.
5. Prepare supporting documentation for external auditors.
6. Develop and perform internal audit procedures to test internal controls and compliance with policies and procedures and follow up on internal audit findings.
7. Maintain the Fixed Assets module.
8. Maintain a high level of job knowledge to ensure decisions and recommendations for change are made with full consideration of legislative requirements and College policies, systems and processes.
9. Research, test, document and recommend solutions for problems with unusual complexity.
10. Prepare monthly reconciliations of assigned accounts and sub-ledgers.
11. Assist with staff training as required.
12. Perform relief Reception duties on a rotating basis as assigned by the Supervisor.
13. Participate in special projects and implementations as assigned.
14. Perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Required Education & Experience
– Active accounting designation or actively pursuing an accounting designation with minimum enrolment in the 3rd level;
– Completion of an audit course or relevant audit experience preferred;
– Minimum 3 years experience in an accounting position within a complex organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
– Advanced level of proficiency in accounting applications and Microsoft Office products, in particular Microsoft Excel;*
– Extensive knowledge of large database systems;
– Experience with the Colleague database system preferred;
– Investigative, problem solving, and analytical skills required;
– Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Applicants should be prepared for testing
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Comox Valley, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-12-05