OverviewNiagara Region Water & Wastewater Outreach Student/Intern Full Time in Ontario
Branch ON CA
Water & Wastewater Outreach Student/Intern
Experience in a water quality, resource management, or related environmental field preferred. Familiarity with current, water-related environmental issues, and…
Approximate Duration: April 30 2018 – August 31, 2018
The Niagara Region has an Water & Wastewater Outreach Student or Intern position with the Water Wastewater division of the Public Works Department for the summer term. This is an excellent learning opportunity for a student or intern enrolled in a related field of study ( Environmental, Public Health, Public Administration, and/or Marketing and Communications).
Although based out of the Environmental Centre (3501 Schmon Parkway, Thorold, ON) (near Brock University), this position requires travel throughout the region to various community events.
Hours of work: 35 hours per week (includes evenings & weekends)
The Outreach Student or Intern c oordinates all aspects of the Region’s Water Wagon program, acting as Wagon Monitor at all events. Responsibilities include assisting Maintenance staff with set-up/take-down, recording/testing chlorine level of water throughout the day, stocking supplies/ice, engaging directly with the public and responding to questions.
The incumbent will also assist with coordination of communication activities internal and external to division. This position may also involve acquiring information and technical materials, coordinated with water and wastewater staff, and assisting with special requirements including preparation of presentations and accompanying materials, managing promotional inventory, and general duties as assigned.
- Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent (ie. GED), and
- For Students: Must be enrolled in/returning to a post-secondary program in September 2018, in program related to position duties (Environmental, Public Health, Public Administration, and/or Marketing and Communications) or For Interns: Successfully completed a related post-secondary degree/diploma program within the last 12 months (or will successfully complete prior to starting this position)
- For Students: Enrollment in a co-op program would be an asset
- Must hold valid MOECC Operator-in-Training Water certificates accredited through the Ontario Water Wastewater Certification Office (www.owwco.ca), or are willing to obtain certificates via written examination prior to starting
- Experience in a water quality, resource management, or related environmental field preferred
- Experience with public consultation processes, community groups, or media communications is an asset
- Familiarity with current, water-related environmental issues, and core services provided by the Region is an asset
- Previous related experience (including co-op and volunteer experience) is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required in order to engage directly with the public and respond to questions
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, as well as in a team environment
- Must be able to start full-time work as early as April 30, 2018
- Must provide proof of meeting the educational requirements outlined above
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle to travel to various work sites is required
- Valid Operator-in-Training Water certificates accredited through the Ontario Water Wastewater Certification Office (www.owwco.ca) are required prior to start-date
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges… today!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application. Please include an email address you regularly check as part of your application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: , ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-11