OverviewNiagara Region Waste Collection & Diversion Advisor Temporary in Ontario
Branch ON CA
Waste Collection & Diversion Advisor
1 Business Unit:. Post-secondary diploma in Business, Environmental Studies or a related field. Neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million…
Waste Collection & Diversion Advisor
Job Opening Id:
Recycling Centre – Niagara Falls
35.00 / week
$ 59,245.00 – $ 69,700.00
Approximate Duration: 3 year contract, to March 2021
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Contract Supervisor, Collection and Diversion Operations, the Waste Collection & Diversion Advisor is responsible for conducting on-going inspections of residential, industrial, commercial and institutional sites to ensure compliance with waste collection contracts and municipal by-laws. The Advisor also assists with the monitoring and supervision of the Region’s collection service providers to ensure they carry out contract requirements.
• Post-secondary diploma in Business, Environmental Studies or a related field
• Additional courses in Waste Management, By-Law Enforcement, or, equivalent combination of education and related experience.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience in waste management, by-law enforcement or a related field
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience in customer service
• Municipal sector experience preferred
• Knowledge of Region waste and recycling programs and related by-laws.
• Knowledge of MS Office suite of products.
• Knowledge of Regional/Municipal Government policies/practices and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Knowledge of Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act preferred.
1. Assists in the supervision and monitoring of various collection contracts, including waste and recycling, providing on-road contract supervision and ensuring the contractor(s) are performing work in accordance with Niagara Region’s programs and policies through day-to-day on-road monitoring.
• Ensures contractor is performing work in accordance with Niagara Region’s program policies through on-road monitoring.
• Updates and maintains database information, analyzing data, producing reports and providing recommendations.
• Conducts investigations
• Helps ensure safety of contractual staff by reporting violations or unsafe practise
• As required, assists with the oversight and administration of the Household Hazardous Waste contractor to ensure compliance with Certificate of Approval/Environmental Compliance Approval, waste volumes and compliance with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act
• Act as a Regional representative to the public.
• Escalates contentious issues to the Contract Supervisor, as required.
• Provide efficient and safe service to Niagara Region residents
• Adapts to changing work priorities in an operational environment
• Fosters collaboration and teamwork in order to deliver high quality work with little supervision.
2. Ensures program participants are in compliance with the Niagara Region’s Waste Management By-law.
• Ensures residents’ compliance with Niagara Region’s Waste Management By-law.
• Issues compliance notices and letters to residents, property owners, and industrial, commercial and institutions not in compliance with Niagara Region’s Waste Management By-Law.
• As required, obtains admissible legal evidence, assisting in the preparation of the crown brief/disclosure for the Contract Supervisors.
• Conducts site visits and/or inspections and/or audits
3. Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
• Must possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted specified license for the class of the vehicle operated
• Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
• Must have own CSA approved work boots.
• Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: , ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-03-15