OverviewNiagara Region Economic Development Manager – Strategic Economic Initatives Full Time in Ontario
Branch ON CA
Economic Development Manager – Strategic Economic Initatives
Develops, manages and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial…
Under the general direction of the Director, Economic Development, this role is responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on strategic economic initiatives that are aligned with long-range economic development plans for a sector(s) economic development; Business Development and Expedited Services, Trade and Investment and/or Strategic Economic Initiatives. Undertakes activities and fosters partnerships that support the development of Niagara as location of choice for investment/trade, enterprise and growth.
• Post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Economic Development, Marketing, Public Administration or equivalent related field of study. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Master’s degree level in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Economic Development, Marketing, Public Administration or equivalent related field of study is preferred.
Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in the following areas:
• coordination and implementation of long range economic/business development activities.
• branding, marketing and sales.
• facilitating partnerships among business, academic and government/agency stakeholders that develop and support innovation networks and hubs.
• managing projects of similar size, scope and complexity
Demonstrated knowledge of:
• Principles and practices of community planning, land use/growth management concepts, infrastructure improvement planning and capital facilities budgeting.
• Federal/Provincial legislation, policy and programs related to business development, investment/trade, enterprise, innovation and growth.
• Municipal government organization and functions.
Demonstrated ability in core competencies:
• Leadership and Navigation
• Critical Evaluation
• Relationship Mgmt.
• Global and Cultural Effectiveness
• Strategic Agility
• Politically Savvy
• Business Acumen.
• Recognized Project Management professional (PMP) designation is preferred.
One of the following (or equivalent) is preferred:
• Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D.) from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC).
• Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from the International Economic Development Council.
1. Economic Development – Strategy and Planning
Oversees business planning, strategic planning, research initiatives and performance management for specific sector(s) of economic development and sustainability.
• Participates in the development of economic development strategies, objectives and long range plans for a unified economic development attraction program.
• Develops strategic plans by researching, facilitating, coordinating, implementing and evaluating major policy and program initiatives which align with long term economic development strategies.
• Monitors and examines market conditions and emerging trends which may impact existing and potential economic development and recommend appropriate action(s).
• Evaluates and reports on the impact of government (all tiers) legislative, policy and program changes. Revises strategies, programs and initiatives accordingly.
2. Economic Development – Programs/Initiatives and Implementation
Leads a range of programs, services, initiatives and activities including (but not limited to): business outreach, local economic development, business improvement area (BIA) management, project facilitation, community economic development social enterprise development, workforce development and special projects,
• Act as a primary contact and expeditor for business attraction.
• Research and target recruitment prospects – generates and manages a portfolio of direct corporate business leads and prospects and maintains record of lead/generation activities.
• Develop and implement marketing and advertising programs/campaigns (general and client specific) that promote business development.
• Develop customer reports for potential new or expanding businesses that show what Niagara has to offer.
• Collect and provide information necessary to satisfy each prospect’s request for facts and information in the form of standard marketing materials and/or custom reports.
• Solicits development proposals from private development companies, businesses and industrial organizations and analyzes the feasibility of these projects;
• Provide service to the development community regarding expedited services to include overseeing the permitting process for designation economic development projects.
• Coordinates and leads domestic and international trade/sales missions to promote the region and develop investment/export opportunities.
• Evaluates programs which would couple the immediately available resources of the area with potential business and industrial development.
• Market Regional/Municipal Community Improvement Program (CIP’s) incentives and handle applications.
• Assists private enterprise and community agencies to resolve community needs that have direct bearing on economic development attraction.
• Negotiate and/or assists with negotiating economic development contracts with private developers, businesses and industry.
• Researches and prepares Provincial and Federal funding submissions.
• Respond to and resolve sensitive inquiries, complaints and issues from both internal and external sources
• Prepares Council reports, business cases, terms of reference documents for tender, requests for proposals and other documents as required.
• Interact on a regular basis with Regional/Municipal departments concerning land use amendments and infrastructure plans.
• Collaboration for the purposes of information collection, data analysis and policy formulation regarding land development patterns supportive of economic development.
• Makes recommendations to Senior Municipal Leaders on land use and zoning policies affecting economic development and attraction.
• Coordinates and/or attends recruitment events, trade shows and familiarization tours as Regional representative, marketing and prospecting business opportunities.
• Provides guidance and coaching to Economic Development staff.
• Makes presentations before citizens’ and advisory groups/committees.
3. Internal/External Relations
• Participates in the development and implementation of region-wide-strategies, structures, systems and policies as a member of the Economic Development Team(s); Region, Local Area Municipalities, Provincial and Federal Ministries.
• Develops and manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring divisional strategies are managed and economic development performance expectations are fulfilled.
• Collaborates and partners with Cdn./US local area counties and municipalities (20 – 25 LAMs and 5 Economic Development Officers (EDOs), industry stakeholders (7 Chambers of Commerce, Niagara Industrial Association and Homebuilders Association), academic institutions (Brock University, Niagara College and Niagara District School Boards) and Provincial/Federal governments to develop and support joint economic development action plan and initiatives.
• Provides advice and guidance to Regional Departments, Local Area Municipalities, Provincial and Federal Ministries and the community on services, policies and strategies as required
• Positions the Region within the larger political arena as a strong player, earning credibility and recognition as an influential advocate on the organization’s behalf.
• Encourages cooperation between private enterprise and public agencies to increase their workforce training and placement programs for generation of jobs.
• Participates in several external and industry committees representing the needs of the Region and advancing common goals and objectives.
4. Project Management
Initiates and champions special projects for sector specific development, based on current environment, often in partnership with external organizations. Manages all aspects of the development and implementation of economic and business development initiatives, managing project life cycle activities.
• Defines project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables that support economic development goals in collaboration with project team and key internal/external stakeholders.
• Communicates project expectations to team members and stakeholders, liaising on an ongoing basis to manage expectations.
• Plans and schedules project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
• Tracks project milestones and deliverables.
• Determines the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyzing results and troubleshooting problem areas.
• Reports project status, including project KPIs to stakeholders.
• Monitors and tracks project costs, schedules, resources, risks, issues, and performance to ensure the optimal success.
5. Financial Accountability
Develops, manages and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies. Ensure goods and services are acquired in accordance with the procurement policy. Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures. (Approx. $100-500k per program area annually)..
• In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
• Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Ontario, CA, US
Posted on: 2016-09-08