Employment Type: Temporary
Happy Valley-Goose Bay,
Posted on: 2018-09-10
Newfoundland Labrador Social Assistance Worker (Social Worker Assistant) Temporary in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL
Branch Happy Valley-Goose Bay NL CA
Social Assistance Worker (Social Worker Assistant)
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL
This position is considered a "Position of Trust" and therefore, a job offer may be subject to a satisfactory security check….
The Department of Children, Seniors and Social Development supports individuals, families and communities in Newfoundland and Labrador in achieving improved health and social well-being and reduced poverty; and ensures the protection of children, youth and adults from abuse or neglect. The department promotes the values of inclusion, diversity, and healthy active living and leads the development of policies, programs and partnerships to improve services and the overall social development of the province. The department has over 700 staff delivering services in 40 locations throughout the province.
This is a professional support position which provides administrative and supportive services to Social Workers in the daily provision and coordination of activities necessary for effective client service delivery and case management within the spectrum of Children, Seniors and Social Development (CSSD) programs as related to children and families. Responsibilities of this position include direct client/public contact, analytical and administrative functions. Duties include recommending and assessing eligibility for services in accordance with delegated authority, applicable legislation and policy; assisting in completion of background checks; supervision of access visits; preparing applications for benefits for children under the care of the manager. The Social Assistance Worker ensures appropriate documentation of case records; prepares and analyzes workload management tools; prepares files for and attends court as required; contacts service providers when necessary for the purpose of requesting documentation. Additional duties include assisting clients with the identification of community supports, accompanying Social Workers on home visits, and arranging case conferences and Individual Support Services Plan meetings. The Social Assistance Worker provides instruction, models appropriate communication and interaction between parents and children, as well as assists youth with a variety of life skill activities. Other related duties may be assigned as required.
- Degree in a related social sciences field (equivalencies will be considered)
- Experience working with children, youth and families
- Office administration experience (asset)
- Knowledge of Children, Seniors and Social Development programs and services as related to children and families
- Knowledge of records management practices
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal)
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage time and tasks
- Ability to work in a team
- Relationship building
- Certificate of Conduct satisfactory to the employer
- Vulnerable Sector Query satisfactory to the employer
- Child Protection Clearance Check satisfactory to the employer
Conditions of Acceptance
- Use of private vehicle with business insurance
This is a NAPE HS bargaining unit position and as per the Collective Agreement, applicants internal to the bargaining unit will be processed prior to other candidates.
For more information about this opportunity please contact Lorne Montague at (709) 896-2423.
- This position is considered a "Position of Trust" and therefore, a job offer may be subject to a satisfactory security check.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received before the close of business on the closing date – late applications with explanation may be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
- Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
- All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.