Employment Type: Temporary
Posted on: 2018-05-23
Newfoundland Labrador Economic Developmemt Officer Temporary in St. John’s, NL
Branch St. John’s NL CA
Economic Developmemt Officer
St. John’s, NL
Experience in the research, development and delivery of economic development programs. Knowledge of research and development and delivery of economic…
The Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation is the lead for innovation, economic development and diversification, tourism, culture, and Provincial parks. The Department is responsible for strengthening and diversifying the economy on a Provincial and regional basis, supporting economic growth and employment in the tourism industry, cultivating contemporary arts, and preserving the Province’s cultural heritage. The Department focuses on the creation of a competitive environment to support private sector investment and business growth through promoting innovation in industry and business development, research and development, internationalization, sector diversification informed by sector research, small business development and community economic development. The Department also establishes and operates historic sites, visitor information centres, arts and culture centres, and oversight of Provincial parks. Additionally, the Department provides regulatory protection of archaeological sites, artifacts and historic documents; supports the arts and heritage sectors through programs and services; supports strategic product development in the tourism industry and marketing Newfoundland and Labrador as a destination to visitor markets; and supports the tourism industry through research, opportunity identification and strategy development.
Reporting to Manager of Innovation Supports, this position administers non-commercial research and development programs to help promote an innovative culture in the province. The incumbent will work with not-for-profit and academic organizations to help identify eligibility for projects with the suite of research and development programs available through the Department. The incumbent will work with potential applicants to help develop appropriate proposals and applications to seek funding and assist with coordinating projects with other agencies that offer research and development programs. Prepare analysis and assessments of applications on eligibility with existing programs and evaluate economic/commercialization potential as well as prepare various project documents, program criteria, and briefing notes and monitor the progress of successful projects. The incumbent will evaluate programs for the development of policies and procedures for ongoing implementation and perform other related duties when required.
- Degree in Business Administration (equivalencies will be considered)
- Experience in the research, development and delivery of economic development programs
- Experience in economic, business and/or sector development
- Experience conducting proposal / project assessment and analysis
- Experience using client information systems (asset)
- Knowledge of research and development and delivery of economic development programs
- Knowledge of business, sector and economic development
- Knowledge of proposal / project assessment and analysis
- Proficiency with client information systems
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal)
- Ability to communication effectively (written)
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to manage time and tasks
- Relationship building
For more information about this opportunity, please call: 729-1708
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received before the close of business on the closing date – late applications with explanation may be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
- Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
- All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.