OverviewMohawk College 3123 – Field Placement Support Officer (Social Service Worker Program) Full Time in Hamilton, ON
Branch Hamilton ON CA
3123 – Field Placement Support Officer (Social Service Worker Program)
A minimum of two-year diploma or certificate in Social Service Worker, or related program, or equivalent combination of education and experience….
Reporting to the Associate Dean, School of Human Services, the incumbent is responsible for the field placement process of the assigned program(s), by providing daily operational and clerical support to the faculty, students and advisory committee(s) of the program. The incumbent coordinates field placement interviews, arranges the overall field placement process and maintains accurate program and agency files. Provides clerical support by updating manuals, testing materials, preparing miscellaneous correspondence, agenda and minutes for the program, arranging visits with community and related agencies, providing accurate and current program information to students, placement agencies, and managing the homepage on e-learn platform. In this position you will be acting as main resource to students, faculty and agencies to provide direction with field placement procedures and program information. You will be required to document student progress and provide ongoing support to student and field placement agencies to support student success.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Coordinates the overall field placement process by:
- Organizing field placement orientation sessions for placement of all students in the related Post-Secondary program
Corresponding with placement agencies, e.g., mailing placement information, special visitations.
- Contacting agencies to confirm specific requirements and availability for student placement.
- Coordinating contacts for placement selection process between agencies and students.
- Ensuring student eligibility – Academic pre-requisites and college forms such as WSIBs and confidentiality waivers.
- Guiding students requiring academic assistance and or counselling services.
- The incumbent will book rooms for supervisor workshops, liaison orientations and hand out placements information to students.
- Compiling and reviewing matching sheets to assess agency student is to be placed at.
- Creating accurate agency profiles on data base for students to access.
- Notifying students of their placement agencies and tracking the security of their placement during interview process, including feedback from agency and replacing if necessary.
- Ensuring placement documents are complete, e.g., evaluation, incident and/or accident reports, and insurance forms, among others.
- Confirming all dates relevant to placement with the student, agency and liaisons.
- Maintaining placement agency information.
- Revising and updating placement agency database, including creating and designing an accurate placement list.
- Designing and revising placement forms as advised by faculty.
- Developing and maintaining student files/records
Monitoring students in field placement settings: Resolving promptly any relevant placement agency and student issues and concerns. Providing direction to the appropriate faculty member for further clarification/action re field placement issues. Preparing written summaries of students’ performance.
Provides Operational and Clerical Support by:
- Acting as a resource for students both at the college and at field placement sites.
- Responding promptly and courteously to inquiries and addresses problems and concerns.
- Directing sensitive issues accordingly to the Faculty, in a prompt and effective manner.
- Providing program information including details regarding the various aspects of placement.
- Providing clarity to students/public regarding information surrounding program requirements.
- Preparing reports for Program Advisory Committee meetings.
- Attending student conferences with Coordinator and program staff.
- Contacting various organizations/schools to inform of program information sessions.
Acts as a resource to students/faculty and placement agencies by:
- Informing of trends/best practices in the program. Advising of relevant issues from faculty, agencies and students for program adoption of procedures and policies.
- Participating at curriculum and program advisory and promotion meetings.
- Facilitating simulations, cases, role playing, all any other needs as dictated by the Program, Faculty and/or agency.
The successful applicant will have:
- A minimum of two-year diploma or certificate in Social Service Worker, or related program, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Certification, Designation, or specialization in the related field of study is required.
- A minimum of three years of practical related experience, preferably serving a multi-diverse, multi-cultural community.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Access for maintaining existing database, creating reports, running queries, Word for creating letters, templates, proposals, mail merges and importing data from excel, Excel for mail merges, importing and exporting data, formula creation and validation, PowerPoint, creating a new presentation, importing data and images from word and/or Excel, Outlook for email, calendar and scheduling Familiarity with Mohawk College programs is desirable; including D2L, MoCoMotion mail and groups, and SCT Banner for Stores Requisitioning and General person queries and . FAST Suite Student, Web Requisitions and General Finance.
- Ability to work independently with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A valid driver’s licence and a car to use on a daily basis.
Preference will be given to qualified full time employees within the Support Staff bargaining unit at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-24