OverviewMinistry of the Attorney General BOOKKEEPER (1) Part Time in Ottawa East, ON
Ministry of the Attorney General
Branch Ottawa East ON CA
Ottawa East, ON
Administrative and Support Services. You understand terminologies of the Criminal Code, Federal, Municipal By-laws, and relevant Acts as it relates to…
The Ottawa Court Services Division requires a motivated individual to provide accounting/bookkeeping and administrative services in support of criminal court operations.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• review bookkeeping system reports and financial records
• record and maintain trust and revenue accounts accurately
• provide customer service to the public/legal profession on accounting/financial/trust matters
• prepare cheques for revenue refunds, salary advances, replenish witness fees, travel and petty cash
• compile statistical information and resolve discrepancies in accounts/financial records
• prepare reports and cheques for transferring monies to the Treasurer of Ontario
• balance trust and revenue accounts, verify receipts and investigate discrepancies
• prepare daily cash reconciliation and bank deposits for trust and revenue accounts
Please note: This is a part-time position working 17.5 hours per week
How do I qualify?
• you demonstrate knowledge of accounting principles, practices, financial policies, procedures and protocols to investigate discrepancies
• you understand relevant statutes, regulations and policies (e.g. Bail Act, Rules of Civil Procedure, Bankruptcy Act, Land Titles Act, Creditor’s Relief Act)
• you have knowledge of practices and procedures governing trust and revenue accounting and cash registry procedures
• you understand terminologies of the Criminal Code, Federal, Municipal By-laws, and relevant Acts as it relates to reconciliation of various revenue accounts
Analytical and Organizational Skills:
• your analytical skills enable you to investigate discrepancies, identify errors and take corrective action
• you have the ability to perform detailed work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
• you demonstrate organizational skills to effectively perform multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
• you demonstrate oral and written communication skills to prepare reports, explain complex accounting scenarios, changes in accounting procedures and processes, and status of accounts
• you have the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy to communicate with legal professionals, judiciary and the public
Mathematical and Computer Skills:
• you are able to perform calculations, maintain accounts accurately and compile statistical reports
• you are proficient with computer software applications to prepare reports and spreadsheets (e.g. Word, Excel)
• you are able to acquire and apply knowledge of databases and financial systems (e.g. IFIS, ICON)
- 1 Temporary – PartTime, duration up to 12 months, 161 Elgin St, Ottawa, East Region, General Screening Requirement
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Administrative and Support Services
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to provide a general or enhanced screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above on this job advertisement to determine the screening check that is required for each position.
A general screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense. An enhanced screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense and permission for the Negotiations & Security Branch , Employee Relations Division to conduct any specific screening as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above.
A record of a Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check results will only be reviewed and evaluated by the Negotiations & Security Branch for the purpose of making a clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the Negotiations & Security Branch and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:59 pm EDT . Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23