OverviewMinistry of Natural Resources and Forestry PARK OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (2) Temporary in South River, ON
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Branch South River ON CA
PARK OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (2)
South River, ON
You possess general building, grounds keeping and utility maintenance. Supervise projects such as the construction of privies, tables, bridges and/or boardwalks…
Do you have progressive leadership experience and the ability to motivate and engage staff? If so, consider this opportunity to join our Ontario Parks team.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• provide group leadership for a variety of technical and operational duties as well as monitoring responsibilities for the successful day-to-day operation of the park
• assist with resource management projects
• perform administrative duties such as correspondence, ordering equipment and supplies as well as scheduling
• ensure facilities and equipment are properly maintained
• supervise the operation and maintenance and testing of the park water
• supervise projects such as the construction of privies, tables, bridges and/or boardwalks and supervise and participate in the maintenance of hiking trails
• assist in the preparation of operational plans and reports
• organize and administer the park enforcement program
How do I qualify?
• You must be able to work shifts, weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule.
• You must be able to be designated as a park warden and meet the ministry certification criteria and standards in the use of force.
• You must possess a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent as recognized by the province of Ontario.
• You must possess or have the ability to obtain an Operation of Small Drinking Water Systems Certificate.
• You have a strong knowledge of resource management principles and techniques.
• You have demonstrated experience and knowledge of park management principles.
Knowledge and technical skills:
• You are able to interpret and apply relevant federal and provincial legislation to conduct enforcement duties in compliance with the rules and regulations.
• You possess general building, grounds keeping and utility maintenance.
• You are knowledgeable of procurement and accounting methods and procedures, and the ability to prioritize and control expenditures.
• You possess knowledge and skill in the maintenance of a variety of office and light powered equipment such as lawnmowers, chainsaws, boats, small hand tools, etc.
• You have knowledge of and ability to use computers including software and hardware.
Communication, administrative and supervisory skills:
• You possess strong communication skills to effectively develop and manage relationships with staff, volunteers, visitors, service providers and other government agencies including the ability to prepare correspondence.
• You have strong leadership, interpersonal and team building skills to provide leadership and promote excellence in customer service and team performance.
• You are able to work independently and use good judgement to follow and carry out instructions, manage emergencies and identify and solve problems.
- 1 Temporary – Seasonal, duration up to 24 weeks, 8818 HIGHWAY 534 FLOOR 1, Restoule, North Region, General Screening Requirement
- 1 Temporary – Seasonal, duration up to 24 weeks, 301 Park Road S., South River, North Region, General Screening Requirement
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Lands and Resources
Thursday, January 22, 2015
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to provide a general or enhanced screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above on this job advertisement to determine the screening check that is required for each position.
A general screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense. An enhanced screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense and permission for the Negotiations & Security Branch , Employee Relations Division to conduct any specific screening as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above.
A record of a Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check results will only be reviewed and evaluated by the Negotiations & Security Branch for the purpose of making a clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the Negotiations & Security Branch and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:59 pm EST . Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: South River, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24