OverviewMinistry of Government and Consumer Services CONSUMER SERVICES OFFICER (2) Temporary in North York, ON
Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Branch North York ON CA
CONSUMER SERVICES OFFICER (2)
North York, ON
2 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 5775 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region. Participate in consumer education sessions and assist in the policy…
The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, Consumer Services, Analytics and Partnerships Branch is seeking two (2) confident, caring and patient individuals with a passion for consumer protection issues and strong dispute resolution and communication skills to mediate complaints between consumers and businesses.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• provide front-line assistance to the general public in understanding their rights and responsibilities as consumers in the marketplace
• evaluate complaints received from the public against acts administered by the Ministry to mediate and facilitate a resolution
• provide advice to consumers, businesses, registrants, lawyers and others about ministry legislation
• monitor the marketplace for legislative compliance
• identify contentious trends and issues in the marketplace and bring to the attention of the team and the senior management
• participate in consumer education sessions and assist in the policy development process
• liaise with relevant organizations to assist with the development of partnerships.
How do I qualify?
Oral and written communication, interpersonal, negotiation and dispute resolution skills
• you have excellent customer service skills and can diffuse potentially high-conflict situations and facilitate a resolution among all concerned parties, using various service channels
• you can use your dispute resolution skills to mediate complaints between consumers and businesses
• you can use dispute resolution techniques to influence merchants/lenders to provide redress for unfair or inappropriate actions
• you can ensure accuracy in spelling and grammar in entering notes in a database, preparing and reviewing correspondence and other materials such as letters, articles, briefing notes and presentation slide decks
You have the ability to:
• interpret and apply legislation to provide assistance to the public
• evaluate complaints against applicable legislation to determine whether there has been a contravention and assess whether to undertake mediation or recommend other appropriate action
• identify contentious trends and issues in the marketplace
• keep up to date with new legislation, new files and new protocols and procedures
Teamwork and organizational skills
• you have experience working in a team environment
• you have proven initiative and strong organizational skills to prioritize workflow, manage a diverse mediation caseload and meet deadlines in a demanding customer-service area
• you are proficient with computer equipment and word-processing, database, spreadsheet, e-mail and Internet technology
- 2 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 5775 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Customer and Client Services
Thursday, July 30, 2015
How to apply:
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, August 14, 2015 11:59 pm EDT . Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-01