OverviewMinistry of Community Safety and Correctional Services CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (45) Contract in Hamilton, ON
Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Branch Hamilton ON CA
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (45)
Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External…
Do you have a desire to work for Correctional Services? If so, then consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services where you will support the correctional system in Ontario and contribute to keeping Ontario’s communities safe.
There are a total of 45 positions for the following locations:
• 20 POSITIONS–(16 unilingual, 4 bilingual) – Hamilton Wentworth Detention Centre-165 Barton Street East, Hamilton, Ontario
• 15 POSITIONS-Niagara Detention Centre, 1355 Uppers Lane, Hwy 58, Thorold, Ontario
• 10 POSITIONS – Sarnia Jail – 700 North Christina St, Sarnia, Ontario
Note: Hours for these positions are irregular and can vary from 0 up to 40 hours per week, with no guarantee of hours.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role you will:
• Perform a full range of duties including the care, custody, control and supervision of offenders
• Interact with offenders to maintain security and safety in the facility;
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of offenders, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including offenders, co-workers, supervisors, clinical and medical staff
How do I qualify?
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years age
• Able to provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoon and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays
To be considered for the Correctional Officer position, you must successfully complete the following during the recruitment process:
• Ministry administered aptitude, cognitive and psychological tests
• Fitness Test for Ontario Correctional Officer Applicants (FITCO) (must be completed by February 14, 2016)
• Correctional Officer pre-employment medical exam
• Correctional Officer Training and Assessment (COTA) program
• Oral French Language test at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual correctional officer positions only)
• Correctional Officer Enhanced Security Clearance process, which includes:
-Vulnerable Services Sector Check
-Out-of-Country Check (if applicable)
-RCMP Records Check
-NICHE/RMS File Check
-PIP (Police Information Portal) Check
-Credit Equifax Check
-Immigration Status Check
-Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Check – last three years
For further information in the Recruitment Process of Correctional Officers, please visit:
• Email: [email protected]
• Phone: 1-855-927-CSRU (2778)
Communication (Oral and Written) skills
• Ability to communicate effectively via oral and written communication
• Ability to communicate in writing (e.g. complete detailed, accurate and clear written reports), and documentation
• Ability to communicate verbally in a clear and respectful manner to provide information, instructions and direction
Observation, Analytical and Problem Solving skills
• Ability to assess problems and determine solutions
• Ability to make recommendations and take appropriate actions
Team Work/Interpersonal and Persuasion skills
• You have ability to work cooperatively towards a common goal
• You have ability to motivate, positively influence and assist people
• You can foster open communication and treat others in a consistent, fair, firm and non-judgemental manner
Crisis Intervention and Conflict Resolution skills
• Ability to recognize and understand situations that may produce conflict and use strategies to resolve and or de-escalate
• Ability to recognize and assess a crisis or potential crisis situation, and implement appropriate solutions in an attempt to resolve the crisis
General Knowledge and Computer skills
• General knowledge of court procedures (e.g. to testify/present evidence at court hearings)
• Knowledge of different cultures and ability to understand and respect differences when interacting with others
• Ability to use computer software (e.g. database, excel, MS office) to input/retrieve data
- 16 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Enhanced-CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- 15 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 1355 Uppers Ln, HWY 58, Thorold, West Region, Enhanced-CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- 10 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 700 Christina St N, Sarnia, West Region, Enhanced-CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- 4 Bilingual Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Enhanced-CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Corrections and Enforcement
Monday, September 21, 2015
- This ad is also available in French.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to provide a general or enhanced screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above on this job advertisement to determine the screening check that is required for each position.
A general screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense. An enhanced screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense and permission for the Negotiations & Security Branch , Employee Relations Division to conduct any specific screening as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above.
A record of a Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check results will only be reviewed and evaluated by the Negotiations & Security Branch for the purpose of making a clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the Negotiations & Security Branch and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Monday, October 5, 2015 11:59 pm EDT . Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23