OverviewMinistry of Children and Youth Services YOUTH SERVICES OFFICER (57) Temporary in Brampton, ON
Ministry of Children and Youth Services
Branch Brampton ON CA
YOUTH SERVICES OFFICER (57)
The Youth Services Officer position will provide you with an opportunity to work with an employer that promotes diversity while you support and deliver programs…
Do you have a desire to work with young persons in conflict with the law? If you would enjoy working with a diverse and challenging client group, where you can make a difference every day, then you might be interested in a rewarding career as a Youth Services Officer.
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services, Youth Justice Services Division, requires dedicated professionals to join their multi-disciplinary team(s) as a Primary/Direct Services Worker within a secure detention/custody youth centre.
The Youth Services Officer position will provide you with an opportunity to work with an employer that promotes diversity while you support and deliver programs and services in custody/detention facilities intended to keep youth active and engaged, focus on specific risks and needs of youth related to reoffending, teach new skills, keep youth safe, resolve conflict and help youth make better choices upon their return to the community.
The six (6) Youth Centres are:
- Cecil Facer Youth Centre – Sudbury
- Justice Ronald Lester Youth Centre – Thunder Bay
- Donald Doucet Youth Centre – Sault Ste. Marie
- Sprucedale Youth Centre – Simcoe
- Brookside Youth Centre – Cobourg
- Roy McMurtry Youth Centre – Brampton
Please note: This competition will be used to create a list of qualified candidates to fill upcoming opportunities within the next 12 months
***How to Apply***:
Please follow these instructions and disregard the instructions in the “How to Apply” section below:
For the purposes of this posting please ensure that you follow this link in order to apply as we do not accept resumes and cover letters.
Click the following to access the YSO application form:
Send completed application form to:
Submit by email, fax or regular mail to: Youth Services Officer Recruitment
Ministry of Children and Youth Services, Youth Justice Services Division
101 Bloor Street West, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2Z7
Incomplete applications will be rejected.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Perform a full range of duties related to the supervision and case management of youth on an assigned shift utilizing a relationship custody/cognitive learning behavioural approach;
- identify and participate in the provision of appropriate structured rehabilitative programs and services for a diverse population of youth;
- ensure the safety and security of youth, staff, youth centre and community.
How do I qualify?
- You have successfully completed post-secondary education from a college/university of recognized standing in a related field with emphasis in behaviour management, adolescent development, and knowledge of family group dynamics, plus one year of recent relevant work experience OR a recognized secondary school diploma with supplementary courses in human behaviour plus three years of recent relevant work experience
- Valid Emergency First Aid and CPR/AED Certificates
- You have knowledge of various sociological issues impacting on youth.
- You have knowledge of case management and group work principles and techniques and gender responsive therapeutic programming, and treatment approaches.
- You have knowledge of mental health and behavioural disorders, abnormal and deviant psychology, symptoms and causes of deviant behaviour, and cognitive behavioural intervention-philosophy and techniques, as well as, knowledge and understanding of youth/adolescent development.
- You have knowledge of various youth justice related legislation (i.e. Youth Criminal Justice Act, Child and Family Services Act, Human Rights Code).
- You have advanced communication skills – written, verbal and non-verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- You have good interviewing, coaching and counselling skills.
- You are able to build positive relationships with youth.
- You have facilitation and team building skills.
- You have analytical, interpretive, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- You have computer skills to operate various business software and operational systems.
6 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 2500 South Lane, Sudbury, North Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
10 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 2435 Hwy 61, Thunder Bay, North Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
6 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 521 Second Ln E, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
5 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 660 Ireland Rd, Simcoe, West Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
10 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 390 King St E, Cobourg, East Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
20 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 8500 Mclaughlin Rd S, Brampton, Central Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Corrections and Enforcement
Friday, March 31, 2017
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Brampton, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-04-01