OverviewMeridian Credit Union Accounts Payable Representative – Part Time, 12 Month Contract Part Time in St. Catharines, ON
Meridian Credit Union
Branch St. Catharines ON CA
Accounts Payable Representative – Part Time, 12 Month Contract
St. Catharines, ON
Processing of accounts payable invoices, including the preparation of the weekly cheque and EFT run, and the month end cheque and EFT run….
Purpose of the Job:
The Accounts Payable Representative is accountable for ensuring that expenses related to the purchase of goods and services are properly classified, approved and paid in a timely and efficient manner. This position will act as the primary contact for Branches, CBC’s and Corporate Office departments relative to Accounts Payable, responding to all inquiries in a prompt and professional manner.
Transactional Processing and Reconciliation
- Processing of accounts payable invoices, including the preparation of the weekly cheque and EFT run, and the month end cheque and EFT run.
- Processing payments for mortgage and deposit brokers, ensuring the information needed by the broker is received before payment.
- Processing rent payments to landlords.
- Processing of US invoices either by Wire (MTS system) or US draft.
- Processing and tracking of Tenant rent payments.
- Payment of all EA MasterCard balances before the due date.
- Reviewing manual cheque requests to determine their urgency before processing.
- Processing and tracking of property taxes for all locations to ensure no late fees incurred.
- Processing of all staff expense claims.
- Processing Board Member expense claims.
- Responsible for monthly corporate tax payments, and quarterly HST remittances.
- Balancing of the accounts payable sub-ledger.
- Tracking of all donation receipts and determining if they are charitable or non-charitable.
- Post various journal entries for other departments that either do not have the ability to post on Ovation or have restrictions on their posting capabilities on a daily basis.
Monthly Accounting Tasks
- Reconcile all Member travel insurance transactions, investigate transactions that have not cleared with branch staff, prepare remittance of travel insurance premiums to the external provider and prepare a monthly reconciliation of the related suspense account.
- Reconcile monthly charges for utilities, phone, cash supply, caretaker and other costs for all branches and corporate office departments. Determine and post all appropriate accruals for these costs.
- Post miscellaneous accruals for invoices received after the month end cheque run.
- Ensure all invoices for services not completed in the current month are properly coded to prepaids, post the monthly amortization of the prepaid balance and reconcile both prepaid accounts.
- Performing assigned month-end reconciliations.
- Balancing and closing off AccPac payables system each month-end.
Support and Administration
- Handling of all vendor inquiries.
- Servicing all branch, CBC and corporate office departments.
- Responding to inquiries from Branches and Corporate Office departments on Accounts Payable matters.
- Setting up vendors and employees on the EFT payment system.
- Maintaining vendor database.
- The ordering, cancelling and maintenance of all business MasterCards.
- Maintaining a binder of all authorized signers for audit purposes.
- Opening new GL’s when required for cost centres.
- Filing of accounts payable invoices and expense claims.
- Responsible for maintaining the log of boxes off-site related to the Accounts Payable team.
- Opening daily mail and re-directing to the appropriate department when required.
- Responsible for all research on HST issues and recommending self-assessment treatment.
- Performing research and investigation of Accounts Payable issues and developing resolutions through new or modified policies, procedures or processes.
- Perform a weekly review of a sample of cheques signed by the Print-Boss system to ensure signatures are in compliance with internal policies.
- Perform random mileage reimbursement reviews to ensure compliance with the internal policy.
- Preparing updates to Accounts Payable forms, policies and procedures when process changes are required.
- Responsible for gathering and sending weekly Accounts Payable stats to management.
- Involvement in Special Project work, either independently or as part of a team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Problem solving skills are required to identify transactional posting errors.
- The ability to identify variances arising from improper coding or classification requires problem solving skills of varying degrees, depending on the complexity of the transaction
- The ability to identify internal control deficiencies based on established policies and procedures is required.
- The ability to incorporate Lean methodology and innovative solutions in to processes and procedures.
- Requires tact and diplomacy to respond to inquiries from across the organization relating to A/P function.
- Requires high level of professionalism when communicating with staff regarding employee expenses or accounts payable matters.
- Requires high level of professionalism when communicating with vendors regarding invoicing issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong commitment to service excellence, maintaining a superior level to ensure department and organizational goals and objectives are achieved and or exceeded.
- Self-motivated and highly organized.
- Basic accounting working knowledge, education or training is required.
- Knowledge of expense and revenue accounts would be an asset.
- Strong problem solving skills – proven ability to quickly identify errors.
- Excellent speed and accuracy of data entry.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and a basic understand of Data Warehouse, FX Drafts application, and the MTS wire platform.
- In-depth knowledge of the Ovation system, processes and data structures. Ability to work independently or part of a team to meet the daily demands of the department.
- Ability to influence and effect change in an environment of continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Saint Catharines, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-12-05