OverviewMerck KGaA Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Lead, Neurology Full Time in Quebec City, QC
Branch Quebec City QC CA
Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Lead, Neurology
Quebec City, QC
He/she will contribute to development and implementation of the Canadian Neurology Medical Strategic Plan and Scientific Communication Strategy with a priority…
Who we are:
EMD Inc. is a North American division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany a leading science and technology company in healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 50,000 employees in 66 countries work to further develop technologies that improve and enhance life – from biopharmaceutical therapies to treat cancer or multiple sclerosis, cutting-edge systems for scientific research and production, to liquid crystals for smartphones and LCD televisions.
At EMD Inc. strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise.
Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Lead will facilitate the establishment of strong, reciprocal relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and the communication of key scientific information both to and from the health care community. This person will function as an EMD scientific/medical expert to the Neurology healthcare communities and develop partnerships in the areas of Multiple Sclerosis. He/she will contribute to development and implementation of the Canadian Neurology Medical Strategic Plan and Scientific Communication Strategy with a priority focused on the dissemination of new research and medical concepts related to treatment and disease management, the evaluation of local requests from neurologists for investigator-driven studies, supporting the implementation of Phase IIIb-IV studies and medical learning programs, support for regional medical advisory boards etc. In alignment with Medical Manager, develops and implements territory and KOL-specific strategies to fulfill educational gaps and ensure the safe and appropriate use of Company products
The MSL Lead will also represent the MSL team to key internal stakeholders and committees within Medical Affairs, Neurology. He/she will be responsible for leading, developing, planning and providing direction, oversight and guidance to the MSL team. He/she will be responsible and accountable for the successful implementation of Medical strategies at the field level. He/she will facilitate setting, managing and tracking MSL team KPIs.
The MSL lead will also be responsible for the development of MSL role through identifying and correcting MSL team educational/skillset gaps
Builds synergies amongst the MSLs to drive Company initiatives, foster team comradery and optimize team performance
GENERAL/ SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
MSL Responsibilities, Atlantic Provinces (40%)
- Develop scientific knowledge in Neurology therapeutic areas and become a strong, credible scientific ambassador for EMD Inc. within the Medical/Scientific Community.
- Disseminate state-of-the-art scientific and medical concepts in alignment with product strategy to both internal and external healthcare audiences (e.g. national and regional KOL’s, community physicians, nurses).
- Assist with unsolicited information requests from health care professionals. Ensure that the delivery of information is consistent and compliant with regulations governing scientific communications and company SOPs.
- In collaboration with Medical Manager, help with evaluation, conceptualization and support to requests from KOLs for investigator-driven studies and their presentation to local and global Medical Review Committees
- Support successful implementation of programs such as regional Advisory Boards and Education/Learning events.
- Effectively communicate consolidated customer, market, and competitive insights to in-house management. Ensure that potential issues and opportunities are identified.
MSL Lead responsibilities (60%)
- Builds a strong MSL team and responsible for developing, evaluating and delivering core training for MSLs in Neurology to ensure adequate medical and scientific expertise
- Accountable for the quality and consistency of scientific and medical knowledge of MSLs within Neurology therapeutic area
- Responsible for identifying and resolving operational issues of medical field activities
- Ensures appropriate MSL staffing to meet the needs of initiatives such as Advisory Boards, Medical Booths, Educational Events, etc.
- Evaluate performance and ensure development of MSLs through fostering strong commitment towards accountability, ownership and medical leadership by developing clear and measurable objectives and KPIs (in agreement with Medical Manager), and by tracking and controlling execution and providing resources to MSLs necessary to achieve the objectives
- Provides coaching and feedback on job performance to MSLs through regular joint visits to KOLs
- Liaises with Global MSL Excellence to leverage resources and best practices and uncover collaboration opportunities
- Ensures compliance to company policies, industry standards, laws and regulations of the field medical/scientific function; accountable for audit readiness within the scope of responsibilities
- Provides timely monthly reports, more frequently if requested by senior management
- Works closely with sales leader to ensure optimal alignment of field resources in delivering therapeutic area objectives in a compliant manner
- Actively participates in the development of brand operational plans
- Bachelor of Science and a post graduate scientific degree (Ph.D., M.D., Pharm.D., M.Sc)
- Minimum of 5+ years in the pharmaceutical industry in medical affairs, clinical development, marketing or sales and proven performance
- Experience in the field of Neurology is preferred.
- bilingual in French and English is an asset
- Team leadership skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and delegate
- Ability to identify and address issues proactively in a timely manner
- Ability to complete tasks in an accurate, timely manner and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Customer focused and innovative with the ability to coordinate a complex and changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with internal and external partners including Key Opinion Leaders and global stakeholders
- Strong ability to leverage scientific knowledge for overall product value
- Independent self-starter with the ability to work effectively both alone and with cross-functional teams
- Ability to support & mentor new recruits from the academic sector through their transition into industry as well as experienced team member
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must have outstanding presentation skills
- Demonstrated business planning ability and strong organizational skills; experienced at strategy development
- Demonstrated professional and ethical behavior. Knowledge of regulations governing provision of disease- and product-related information to health care professionals
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills
- Able to manage frequent travel up to 60%.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Québec City, QC, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-31