OverviewMcMaster University RECRUITMENT ASSISTANT Full Time in Hamilton, ON
Branch Hamilton ON CA
As a member of the Engineering Co-op & Career Services (ECCS) Team, this 2 year contractually limited role is focused on the effective delivery of the Bachelor…
Ranked among the top engineering schools in Canada and worldwide, the Faculty of Engineering plays a key role in helping McMaster University earn its well-deserved reputation as one of Canada’s most innovative universities in learning and research. McMaster Engineering has a reputation for innovative programs, cutting-edge research, leading faculty, and aspiring students. It has earned a strong reputation as a centre for academic excellence and innovation. The Faculty has approximately 180 faculty members, along with 5,500 undergraduate and about 800 graduate students.
As a member of the Engineering Co-op & Career Services (ECCS) Team, this 2 year contractually limited role is focused on the effective delivery of the Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Applied Science (Computer Science), iBioMed and Bachelor of Technology Co-op Programs. You will serve as a liaison between employers and students in supporting hiring inititatives. More specifically, the Recruitment Assistant develops strong relationships while continuously interacting with students and employers for the primary purpose of exchanging or clarifying information and documents related to cooperative education and career services. Dealing with competing priorities, strict deadlines, and high volume during peak times, the Recruitment Assistant implements the complex recruitment process that includes posting jobs, preparing application packages, scheduling interviews and producing the accompanying paper work. The utmost discretion is required when regularly handling confidential data such as student files, student work term evaluations, employer salary figures, etc.
The Recruitment Assistant is the primary point of contact for Engineering Co-op and Career Services, its students, and its employer partners. This role also provides administrative support for ECCS staff to implement the policies, the procedures and the recruitment process of the cooperative education programs offered by the Faculty of Engineering. The Recruitment Assistant works cooperatively to deliver quality, personalized service to students and employers while promoting the benefits of cooperative education and career development across Canada and internationally.
Performs a full range of administrative duties that requires a thorough understanding of University and department organization, functions, policies and procedures.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Ensures accurate data entry and timely maintenance of student and employer information in an established database.
- Promotes the benefits of co-operative education and career development to students and employers.
- Liaises with employer development staff to enhance and develop relationships with new and existing employer contacts.
- Reviews information sent in by employers and ensures employer expectations align with recruitment cycles and student eligibility. Ensures job postings are directed to appropriate students.
- Corresponds with employers and ensures that the required job posting information is accurate and complete.
- Enters data to post positions online ensuring accuracy. Verifies appropriate screening filters are applied.
- Sends link to employers for student application materials upon the posting closing.
- Troubleshoots student issues regarding applications.
- Emails selected survey recipients and monitors responses.
- Gathers employment statistics and generates reports using established online database templates.
- Sends email alerts to students regarding positions.
- Implements new office methods and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Maintains office records, manuals, and documents.
- Coordinates and schedules meetings, workshops, and interviews including room bookings, parking, catering, and telephones.
- Writes a variety of documents such as correspondence, letters, reports, and meeting minutes.
- Maintains filing systems, both electronic and hard copy.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail and faxes.
- Provides information to students regarding options for meeting with career staff including individual appointments, office hours, and workshops.
- Maintains confidentiality of employer and student information.
- Responds independently to inquiries via phone, email, and in-person which require knowledge of University and departmental policies and procedures.
Ensures adherence to quality standards and procedures for short-term staff.
Occasionally provides orientation and shows procedures to others.
2 year Community College diploma in Office Administration or related field.
Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Key competencies for this position include:
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills in working with employers and students.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to maintaining data integrity of student records.
- Focused on supporting the student-centred culture of ECCS and the unit’s
commitment to benchmarking and evidence-based practice.
- Team player and self-reliant individual with demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Advanced skills in Word and Excel and ability to learn new programs quickly, Orbis experience an asset.
- Knowledge of engineering disciplines, or experience in, an engineering environment would be strong assets
- Experience in recruitment, cooperative education, or career services environments would be highly desirable.
Occasional evening and weekend availability is required.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and LGBTQ-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection procedure, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247).
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-11