OverviewMcGill University Secretary Full Time in Montréal, QC
Branch Montréal QC CA
Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using Microsoft Office Suite, presentation software, Internet Search Engines, Minerva/Banner, web navigation,…
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs various secretarial duties including word-processing, support of administrative activities, and verifying documents for internal and external submission. Responds to general and student enquiries regarding area’s policies, procedures and practices. Completes administrative forms, keeps records, inputs and verifies data. Assists with organization of special events. Makes travel arrangements. Maintains inventory of supplies and handles cash. Opens and sorts mail.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Types various documents such as correspondence, manuscripts, reports, grant proposals, statistical tables, administrative forms and lists. Following instructions arranges for publication of materials, such as the departmental handbook, web pages and publicity brochures. Formats according to specifications using standard computer applications. Verifies for completeness and proof-reads for grammar and spelling. Composes routine correspondence.
- Performs data entry to update management, patient or student record computerized information systems. Produces lists and reports using appropriate software. Keeps up to date with and implements standard computer applications. May act as resource person for standard office software.
- Obtains, compiles and provides factual information by consulting relevant documentation and contacting appropriate internal and external resource persons. Greets visitors, and responds to general and student enquiries regarding area’s policies, procedures and practices. Answers questions or provides referral to appropriate resource person.
- Receives, screens, directs and makes telephone calls; takes and relays messages. Arranges meetings and contacts participants regarding time, place and general purpose of the meeting. Attends meetings, takes and distributes minutes. When requested, schedules and arranges appointments and makes travel arrangements.
- Assists in ensuring the smooth functioning of special events such as symposia, conferences, exhibits, and special clinics. Takes reservations and appointments, collects registration fees, and answers general enquiries.
- Performs various office functions such as sorting, filing and retrieving files or documents, photocopying and assembling of documents, posting notices, and receiving, distributing, addressing and sending mail. May act as messenger.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, typewriter, calculator, photocopier and fax machine.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education & Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Three (3) years related experience
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
Must be customer focused and service oriented with proven ability to listen and assist clients in a helpful and efficient manner. Ability to clearly transmit and receive information both in writing and verbally. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize and multi-task to meet deadlines in a high-volume, fast paced environment. Strong attention to detail in documenting and taking action on files. Demonstrated ability to proofread and edit correspondence and other material using appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation. Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as part of team. Capable of assisting / playing a support role in the organization of events. Experience in organizing events. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using Microsoft Office Suite, presentation software, Internet Search Engines, Minerva/Banner, web navigation, electronic mail; POPS and other related software. English and French (spoken and written).
$20.45 /h – $28.21 /h
Hours Per Week:
How To Apply:
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
staffing [dot] hr [at] mcgill [dot] ca
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED WITHIN EIGHT (8) WORKING DAYS OF THE DATE OF PUBLICATION.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification.
Updated on Fri, 2015-03-20 11:04
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-21