OverviewManitoba Government Head, Park System Planning and Ecology Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Head, Park System Planning and Ecology
Graduation from a natural resources management, environmental science, or biology program, with directly-related work experience in a land use or park planning…
The Parks and Protected Spaces Branch of Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Head, Park System Planning and Ecology in Winnipeg, MB.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Must be willing and able to travel with occasional overnight accommodation and to remote locations.
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours, as required.
- Graduation from a natural resources management, environmental science, or biology program, with directly-related work experience in a land use or park planning position, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of park planning including the principles and processes involved in biodiversity conservation, land use, and outdoor recreation planning.
- Experience in planning and coordinating the selection and securing of lands for legal designation.
- Experience developing and conducting consultation processes with First Nations.
- Knowledge of protected areas science including the approach used in Manitoba regarding establishment of protected areas and how they relate to international requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholder groups as well as in a team environment.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to conduct technical and public presentations.
- Strong written communication skills including writing reports and correspondence.
- Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience using Microsoft office programs or similar computer software, as well as experience using GIS applications (Arc View, Arc GIS).
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience designing biological research/surveys and implementing the collection of ecological and physical attribute information.
- Experience interpreting acts and regulations.
- Knowledge of Manitoba’s Provincial Park System, Ecological Reserves program, and the Protected Areas Initiative.
The Head of Park System Planning and Ecology leads the planning requirements for the establishment of new provincial parks which includes determining park and land use category boundaries and developing primary park goals and objectives. This position is also responsible for the review of park reserves towards a permanent designation and making changes to existing park and land use category boundaries. A major component of this work is conducting consultation processes with the general public, stakeholders, and First Nation and Aboriginal communities. The Head of Park System Planning and Ecology is responsible for meeting the broad provincial park system goals by ensuring that in addition to providing opportunities for outdoor recreation, provincial parks conserve and manage plants and animals and preserve areas and features of geological, cultural, ecological or other scientific interest. This position organizes and implements the ecological components for Manitoba’s provincial park system through natural resource management programs and identifying research needs and coordinating studies pertaining to ecosystem management and the conservation of biodiversity.
Apply to: Advertisement # 30824
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3J7
Email: [email protected]
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23