OverviewManitoba Government Correctional Psychiatric Nurse Full Time in The Pas, MB
Branch The Pas MB CA
Correctional Psychiatric Nurse
The Pas, MB
Satisfactory Certificate of Medical Fitness. Consider a career in Correctional Nursing – this unique opportunity will be of interest to a dynamic and broadly…
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Relocation Assistance of up to $5,000 is available for eligible nurses willing to relocate to Manitoba to work.
More information is available on the Nurses Recruitment and Retention Fund website https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/nurses/bfrng.html.
Consider a career in Correctional Nursing – this unique opportunity will be of interest to a dynamic and broadly-experienced nurse who would like to become a member of a professional medical unit that provides assessment and treatment to clients within a correctional environment.
We offer a competitive salary in addition to overtime. We have a substantial benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, maternity and parental leave, and a defined pension plan (pension plan has a reciprocal transfer agreement which provides portability of accrued pension benefits and service between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and eligible employers). You may also qualify for additional education and relocation assistance from the Nurses Recruitment and Retention Fund.
The Pas Correctional Centre (TPCC) is located next to the provincial court building in the Town of The Pas. It is a medium security facility for adult males and adult females. It contains a high-security unit and a seven-person unit for offenders temporarily held under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
TPCC is currently searching for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN) to work on a regular full-time basis. Candidates are asked to consider the following before applying: the work schedule is Monday to Friday, and it includes day shifts only. This environment is highly autonomous and requires nursing staff to work independently and in consultation with the Health Services Manager. The successful candidate will have the ability to make critical decisions, utilize standards of practice, policy and procedure as well as access resources while working alone. This is a challenging, fast paced environment providing a unique experience not seen in traditional nursing roles.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Nursing Licensure with the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM), the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM).
- CPR-HCP Certification.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check – Vulnerable Sector.
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check AND Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Satisfactory Security Check.
- Satisfactory Certificate of Medical Fitness.
- Experience performing clinical assessments and crisis interventions.
- Experience with patient care planning for individuals experiencing mental illnesses.
- Effective verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working independently.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of working with psychotropic medication.
- Experience in suicide prevention and intervention.
- Experience in a similar environment such as emergency, medical, surgical or community programs.
- Knowledge of communicable diseases, main signs and symptoms of alcohol or drug misuse.
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture.
The incumbent will be a member of the health care team reporting to the Health Service Manager in a correctional centre. Responsibilities include: providing intervention and support to offenders experiencing psychiatric crisis or illness; implementing, monitoring, and revising psychiatric patient care plans and behavior modification plans for offenders. Triages and refers clients to appropriate health care professionals; develops treatment plans for residents; implements, assesses and refers to programs and interventions in cooperation with other professionals. As a member of the medical team, the incumbent must be able to work with considerable independence and without direct supervision.
Apply to: Advertisement # 32092
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3J7
Email: [email protected]
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: The Pas, MB, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-02