OverviewManitoba Government Claimant Adviser Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
The Claimant Adviser assesses the file, conducts investigations and represents claimants at mediation at the Automobile Injury Mediation Office and at…
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
1 Regular/Full Time Position; 1 Term/Full Time Position
This position is responsible for assisting, supporting, and representing claimants who wish to appeal a Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation (MPIC) Internal Review decision of their bodily injury claims. The Claimant Adviser assists the claimant with their understanding of the insurance regime under the MPIC Act, the nature and details of their claim, and, their options in the conduct of their appeals. The Claimant Adviser assesses the file, conducts investigations and represents claimants at mediation at the Automobile Injury Mediation Office and at adversarial appeal hearings before the Automobile Injury Compensation Appeal Commission (AICAC). The Claimant Adviser may also negotiate resolutions/settlements with MPIC.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ability to travel throughout the Province as required.
- Significant experience working in an advocating capacity (providing advice, information and representing the client`s rights/interests before an adjudicative body, tribunal, or decision maker).
- Experience researching and interpreting legislation, case precedents and jurisprudence.
- Experience preparing for, and presenting cases at hearings including obtaining, investigating and analyzing evidence, and developing a case/appeal plan.
- Experience examining and cross-examining witnesses.
- Experience with conflict resolution including dealing effectively with emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgement.
- Case management experience including dealing with multiple case files at the same time.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish priorities in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with the public and government officials at various levels.
- Well developed written communication skills with the ability to present ideas and information clearly and concisely in written form.
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs including, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience attending and representing clients at mediation.
- Knowledge of medical and legal terminology and evidence.
Reporting to the Director of the Claimant Adviser Office, the incumbent will be expected to be an experienced advocate and to develop expert knowledge of the MPIC Act, Automobile Injury Compensation Appeal Commission decisions and relevant Court decisions. The incumbent is expected to effectively negotiate on behalf of and represent claimants in an adversarial, administrative tribunal environment and in mediation. The incumbent must be capable of preparing and presenting convincing legal and medical arguments before the Automobile Injury Compensation Appeal Commission – encompassing the use of professional witnesses, legal precedence and available pertinent evidence. The incumbent must be able to represent claimants in mediation at the Automobile Injury Mediation Office. The incumbent must be able to provide timely, helpful guidance and service to claimants and must work simultaneously on numerous cases, providing advice to multiple claimants.
Apply to: Advertisement # 30853
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3J7
Email: [email protected]
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23