OverviewLowe’s Companies Real Estate Development & Construction Manager Full Time in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
Real Estate Development & Construction Manager
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Lowe’s! Coordinates with Lowe’s Real Estate Director/Manager for completion of materials, plans, and construction…
Why Join Us?
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Lowe’s! We are one of Canada’s largest home improvement companies and we continue to focus on our Canadian growth and bringing the Lowe’s brand closer to the customer.
Wherever we operate, we are committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of our employees, our customers and in the communities in which we live and work.
The principal purpose of this position is to manage due diligence, design, permitting, and construction for both site and building improvements for new store expansion, delivering long range planning goals for Lowe’s Canada, while also supporting facility improvement projects on existing facilities. This position is a primary partner and liaison with Store Operations, Real Estate, Legal, and Store Planning/Design. This position has direct responsibility for support of a portfolio that spreads across a division of multiple locations. This position is responsible for year over year improvements in cost-control, quality, service and business alignment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead Divisional project task scheduling and review process for new store expansion, retrofit and conversion, facility improvement projects, and remerchandising projects for varying banners of Lowe’s Canada/RONA across Canada.
• The position will be responsible for managing outside consultants to complete required plans, studies and evaluations within company approved budgets and on time for obtaining zoning and land use approvals, site plan approval, zoning variances, and other required for new store and/or for facility improvement construction. This position is responsible for properly presenting intended development and use of a site at all required public hearings (i.e., City Council, Planning Committee, Zoning Committee, Zoning Board of Appeals/Committee of Adjustment, etc.), coordinating submission of permit applications for new store construction.
• The position will be responsible for managing outside consulting Teams for completion of permitting and construction drawings for architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, plumbing, and fire protection disciplines for multiple Lowe’s Canada project types.
• Negotiating and contracting with outside consultants to provide the following services: Engineering design/development of civil site construction plans, architectural/building construction plans, cost analyses, boundary and topographic surveys, wetland evaluations, environmental site assessments, geotechnical investigations, traffic studies, planning opinions, hydrological/storm water reports, and other engineering support as needed. The position will be responsible for managing outside consultants to complete required plans, studies and evaluations within company approved budgets and on time for obtaining zoning, site plan, development permits, and/or building permits for new store and retrofit construction projects.
• Coordinates with Lowe’s Real Estate Director/Manager for completion of materials, plans, and construction cost estimates for presentation of projects to Lowe’s Real Estate Committee, while also evaluating potential new store construction sites through coordination of site planning and due diligence investigations.
• Coordinates with Store Operations and Real Estate for new store construction while providing input towards the Company’s anticipated construction start and projected opening dates.
• Ability to negotiate development agreements/cost share agreements for assigned new or existing stores in the best interest of the company and in accordance with corporate and legal guidelines so that a positive return on investment is generated for the company.
• Establish goals for the successful completion of work that is within budget and schedule constraints, delineate these policies, procedures and goals to vendor partners and see that they are effectively carried out
• Interface with client regional and field staff, other contractor employees, and potential vendors
• Conduct routine check-ins/inspections and follow-up to review program activities, status and future commitments with the ability/skills to inspect, monitor, and document construction progress to ensure compliance with contract documents and codes.
• Continually monitor and manage contractual requirements and obligations with regards to budget, schedule, quality, and safety.
• Responsible for properly presenting new store opportunities to Municipal Authorities while also coordinating submission of permit applications for new store construction.
• Manages the architectural and engineering design of each project to ensure that all development issues are properly addressed and are in conformance with Company and municipal/code requirements.
• Works closely with Lowe’s Canada cross functional teams to ensure fluid coordination of all design and construction requirements, assisting with the oversight and completion of proposed construction improvements.
• Assists Lowe’s Construction Project Manager to ensure all items concerning Lowe’s construction, etc. (i.e. punch list, municipal issues) are completed in order for the project to receive a Certificate of Occupancy
• Sound understanding of the Canadian real estate and development industry is required for this role
• 7+ years of commercial real estate development experience with a big box retailer is preferred for this position.
• A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Architecture is preferred for this position
• Must have the ability to effectively present information to large groups and have experience in interacting with multiple levels of management and government.
• Excellent negotiation and organizational skills.
• The position requires superior analytical and project planning capabilities along with a strong execution expertise.
• Strong interpersonal/ communication skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels of internal and external organizations are essential.
• Must possess the ability to influence and create alignment across multiple functional areas with sometimes conflicting needs.
• Must be able to work independently with limited direction and have flexibility to react quickly in a dynamic business environment.
• Must enjoy driving the resolution of problems and must relish an environment of constantly taking on new challenges.
• Must be willing to travel extensively throughout Canada and to the US when required.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-31