OverviewLegal Aid Ontario Tenant Duty Counsel Temporary in Ontario
Legal Aid Ontario
Branch ON CA
Tenant Duty Counsel
ACTO-TDCP is an equal opportunity employer. Participate in public legal education sessions, trainings, consultations, and meetings of the ACTO Tenant Duty…
Careers at LAO
Tenant Duty Counsel Tenant Duty Counsel Program (TDCP) of the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) Assignment: 8 month contract position, commencing September 1, 2015 (start date negotiable) to April 30, 2016.
Reports to: Supervisory Duty Counsel, Tenant Duty Counsel Program (TDCP) of the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Primary function: Provide summary legal services to tenants appearing before the Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) at locations in the GTA.
Main duties of the job:
- Provide summary legal services to tenants, including legal advice and information, assistance with negotiation and mediation, document preparation, and referrals and regular representation before the LTB.
- Participate in public legal education sessions, trainings, consultations, and meetings of the ACTO Tenant Duty Counsel team in the GTA.
- Participate in regular training sessions for Tenant Duty Counsel across the province.
- Travel to provide services at different locations of the LTB in Toronto and Mississauga.
- Preparation of statistical and other reports as may be required by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
Required skills & experiences:
- Law Society of Upper Canada membership (Lawyer designation only) in good standing.
- Experience before administrative tribunals, including preferably experience before the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal and/or Landlord and Tenant Board.
- Knowledge of administrative law and familiarity with landlord/tenant law and practice.
- Appreciation of the range of and complexity of legal issues potentially facing low-income tenants in Ontario.
- Experience with and a preference for a team work approach to projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral communications skills, including interviewing and oral advocacy skills.
- Computer literacy.
Assets: Legal clinic or student legal aid experience; experience working for a non-profit organisation; ability to communicate in both official languages.
Salary: $66,720 annually pro-rated.
To apply: Applications must include at least two (2) references and must be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Monday, August 17, 2015 .
We reserve the right to extend the deadline if a suitable candidate is not found. Candidates must respond by submitting their application by fax and/or e-mail to the attention of:
The Hiring Committee
Tenant Duty Counsel Program
425 Adelaide St. W., 5th floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C1
Fax (416) 597-5821
E-mail: [email protected]
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
ACTO-TDCP is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Ontario, CA, US
Posted on: 2015-08-01