OverviewLegal Aid Ontario Intern Contract in Ontario
Legal Aid Ontario
Branch ON CA
All internal candidates, please refer to the Internal Transfer Policy, prior to applying. Internal and External….
Careers at LAO
Intern Refugee & Immigration Services – GTA Legal Aid Ontario employees are committed to making a difference in the lives of our clients. As an integral partner in the Justice system, working at Legal Aid Ontario is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to help people who need it the most; to ensure each client receives the access to justice afforded to them under the law.
If you are looking for a new challenge in your already meaningful career with a team dedicated to justice, and innovation in a flexible and supportive work environment consider this opportunity below.
- Job title: Intern
- Assignment: 4 month contract (ending March 2017)
- Reports to: Director – Legal Services Refugee & Immigration – GTA
- Area of search: Internal and External
Primary function: This position will be responsible for answering a multi-line console in both English and French and responding to routine inquiries and/or directing the caller to the appropriate person or department in a courteous and efficient manner. This position performs a variety of day-to-day receptionist duties that support the effective operations of the Refugee and Immigration Services Division in the GTA, in accordance with LAO policies and procedures.
Main duties of the job:
- Courteously greets all visitors to the office
- Contacts staff at Legal Services with in-take information
- Answers all incoming calls, and provides information to general inquiries and/or refers caller appropriately.
- Utilizes computer to retrieve and enter data and for creating memos, letters, reports, etc.
- Orders and prepares courier services (Puralator, Globex or Process Servers)
- Maintains the tidiness of the reception area
- Arranges appointments for staff as required and enters appointments in Legal Services SharePoint site
- Arranges for couriers and process servers as required
- Supports the Business Manager/Director/Executive Lead in the daily operation of the Refugee and Immigration Services GTA Division
- Assists SLARI group with triaging files and authorizing where appropriate
- Checks legal service mailbox and triaging emails out to appropriate staff
- Checks legal service fax and triaging out to appropriate staff.
- Performs other general office duties as assigned
Required skills & qualifications:
- Effective listening skills and information processing skils in order to effectively respond to and/or redirect telephone queries and complaints and to assist in diffusing irate callers.
- Written and oral competency in English and oral competency in French.
- Computer skills necessary to use software applications (Microsoft Office) for data entry and retrieval.
- Demonstrated ability to use latest communication technologies including Smartphones; Blackberrys and iPhone.
- Must have intermediate knowledge of the following Microsoft programs; Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Experience with Access would be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgement in releasing appropriate information.
Preferred skills and qualifications
- Customer service experience
- Experience in operating a multi-line console and directing calls
- Salary range: $15 per hour
To apply: Candidates interested in this opportunity must respond by November 11, 2016 .
Only applications submitted via email will be accepted.
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] quoting following competition number in the subject line: LAO-080-16
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
All internal candidates, please refer to the Internal Transfer Policy, prior to applying.
Legal Aid Ontario values integrity, respect, responsiveness, excellence, independence, accountability, openness and consistency. Our recruitment process reflects our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Ontario, CA, US
Posted on: 2016-11-01