OverviewLegal Aid Ontario District Triage Officer Full Time in Ontario
Legal Aid Ontario
Branch ON CA
District Triage Officer
Assist with referrals to the Client Service Centre, and/or complete certificate applications, determine legal and financial eligibility and issue legal aid…
Careers at LAO
District Triage Officer Durham-Frontenac District Assignment: Permanent Full-time
Location: Durham-Frontenac District, Oshawa
Reports to: Supervisor, Support Services
Primary function: The primary function is to screen and/or interview applicants that require the services of legal aid and to make entitlement decisions based on legal and financial information obtained from the client.
Main duties of the job:
- Triage and assess clients needs to determine the appropriate service for the client, and to make client referrals where necessary in the area office and court office
- Assist with referrals to the Client Service Centre, and/or complete certificate applications, determine legal and financial eligibility and issue legal aid certificates for eligible clients.
- Conduct telephone and in person interviews to gather information about cases and assist Duty Counsel with client queries, referrals, and requests for information
- Take complex applications for certificates.
- Assist clients and lawyers on the phone and/or in person
- Provide information to clients relating to legal aid and court proceedings
- Refer applicants to other legal and/or government services and/or to the advice lawyer
- Make entitlement decisions based on LAOs financial eligibility and policy guidelines
- Prepare payment agreements, certificates, forms and general correspondence
- Liaise with private bar lawyers, police, and LAO court workers and other court staff
- Greet and assist clients and lawyers on the phone and/or in person
- Maintain up to date referral lists
- Update client information, acknowledging certificates and updating addresses in PeopleSoft
- Maintain and order office supplies
- Open up and direct mail
- Open, maintain and close all files along with file lists
- Provide back-up or vacation relief for other staff
- Other related duties as required
Required skills & experiences:
- A good understanding of LAOs structure and the services that LAO provides
- Knowledge of legal aid application policies, processes and procedures including Section 30 process, financial principles and LAO policies and practices
- A good understanding of the Peoplesoft system
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and sound judgement for dealing with applicants and lawyers
- Excellent interview skills, and sound judgment for dealing with clients, lawyers and other agencies
- Solid understanding of criminal court processes, rules and practice directions for all levels of court serviced by the Duty Counsel office
- Knowledge of relevant criminal legislation, including the Criminal Code of Canada , the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Youth Criminal Justice Act
- Knowledge of family court processes, the Family Law Act and other relevant legislation
- Ability to function in both English and French is an asset.
- Maintain knowledge of Peoplesoft and other computer programs and systems
- Ability to determine legal and financial eligibility based on LAO eligibility criteria
Salary: Classification: S3
Salary Range: $38,890.00 to $58,041.00 per annum
To apply: Candidates interested in this opportunity must respond by August 7, 2015 .
Only applications submitted via email will be accepted. Please forward your resume to [email protected] quoting the following in the subject line: LAO-073-15
All internal candidates, please refer to the Internal Transfer Policy, prior to applying.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Legal Aid Ontario values integrity, respect, responsiveness, excellence, independence, accountability, openness and consistency. Our recruitment process reflects our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code .
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Ontario, CA, US
Posted on: 2015-07-31