OverviewLantic Inc. Chemical Engineering Coop Student – Eight Month Term – Vancouver and Taber Temporary in Vancouver, BC
Branch Vancouver BC CA
Chemical Engineering Coop Student – Eight Month Term – Vancouver and Taber
Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering. The Company has two sugar processing facilities, a cane sugar refinery in Vancouver, British…
Eight Month Term: May 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017
Locations: First four months at Vancouver Refinery and second four months at Taber Facility
Our Co-op Program allows students to get a glimpse into what it’s like to be a part of the Lantic Inc. family. The purpose of this program is to seek out individuals that will not only make an impact during their internship, but could also be converted into a full-time hire. We are looking for the next generation of problem solvers to drive change within Lantic Inc. Are you up for the challenge?
Who we are:
Lantic Sugar Limited and Rogers Sugar Ltd. merged into a new operating entity now known as Lantic Inc., on June 30, 2008. The two companies had worked together as one for a number of years before the amalgamation. The finest traditions of both companies form the foundation of a culture that is national in character and diverse in ambition. We have entered a new and dynamic era in the life of our company, which began nearly a century ago.
The established trademarks of both Lantic and Rogers are being used by Lantic Inc. as we leverage the historic brand awareness we enjoy in Eastern Canada with the Lantic name, in Western Canada with the Rogers name.
Lantic Inc. is one of two refiners in eastern Canada and operates a cane sugar refinery in Montreal, Quebec. In Eastern Canada, sugar products are marketed primarily under the “Lantic” trade name and include granulated, icing, cube, liquid, yellow and brown sugars.
In Western Canada, Lantic Inc. is the leading refiner, processor, distributor and marketer of sugar products. The Company has two sugar processing facilities, a cane sugar refinery in Vancouver, British Columbia and a sugar beet processing facility in Taber, Alberta. The Company’s sugar products are marketed primarily under the “Rogers” trade name, and include granulated, icing, cube, yellow and brown sugars, liquid sugars and specialty sugars and syrups.
About our Refinery in Vancouver:
The Vancouver Refinery, located east of downtown core at Vancouver’s waterfront is the leading refiner, processor, distributor and marketer of cane sugar products in Western Canada. The sugar products are marketing under the Rogers trade name since 1891.
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Up to 40 hours may be expected)
Responsibilities and tasks Description:
The Process Engineer Intern will work in a team environment with process, production and Engineering in the Vancouver Refinery and/or Taber Plant to support various projects. Responsibilities include:
- Learn the sugar refining processes
- Support activities that improve the performance of the plant in the areas of process reliability, safety, and cost
- Develop training materials
- Write procedures for site operation and inspections
- Maintain production process flows
- Develop working instructions and process documents
- Investigate operational problems affecting production and reporting and recommending solutions
- Identify ways to reduce production costs through recommendations – i.e. new process equipment, equipment justification to improve performance
- Liaise with suppliers on manufacturing process
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering
- Must be a 3rd Year Student
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 to 4.0 or higher
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Strong organizational, prioritization and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and learn new tasks
- Proven ability to conduct extensive research and summarize findings
- Ability to work independently but appreciates the benefits of being part of a team
- Good logic and strong attention to detail
- Proactive approach and willing to take initiative
- Willingness to travel to other Lantic sites as required
- Willingness to relocate to one of our Refinery or Plant within Canada in the future.
Lantic inc. is an equal opportunity employer . We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified persons to apply.
Please note: Candidates must have a valid study and work permit at the time of application and internship.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-23