OverviewKerry’s place Autism Consultant Full Time in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we focus on health and wellness including fitness. Reporting to the Manager of Community Supports, the Autism…
Reporting to the Manager of Community Supports, the Autism Consultant is
responsible for providing support to persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), their families and
communities. A key factor of this role also includes community capacity development to assist families
and communities to gain the understanding and skills to assist persons with ASD in all aspects of family
and community life.
- Support the Community Services Practices to support Kerry’s Place Mission Statement, Vision and
- Support provided by the Autism Consultant includes a wide range of services including consultation
support to persons, families, agencies, community groups, workshop development and
presentation, intake role and direct support in various capacities.
- Support in family support roles such as Family Support Groups, Sibling Groups, and social groups for
children and adults
- Will work collaboratively with various agencies and community groups as well as working
supportively with the community services team.
- Service coordination support either formally or informally.
- Direct support to persons with ASD including 1:1 teaching sessions, groups, workshops, and the
development and implementation of teaching strategies in the various environments (i.e. home,
school, community, resource centre).
- Liaison with families and community groups and partner agencies in a professional fashion.
- Community capacity building through formal and informal means such as development and
provision of workshops for families and community agencies, educating, modeling and supporting
others to gain the understanding of persons with ASD and successful support approaches.
- This position supports children and youth.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Human / Social Services.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder/developmental
disabilities in a community based setting as well as experience working closely with families and
with community agencies.
- Solid understanding of ABA principles, associated teaching methods, and experience in utilizing
these principles in supporting persons with ASD across the autism spectrum.
- Strong knowledge of and experience supporting persons with ASD in community settings.
- Good knowledge of respective communities and formal and informal resources.
- Strong understanding of the principles of supporting persons within the family unit and within their
community is required.
- Basic understanding of Child and Family Services Act and The Services and Supports to Promote the
Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act and responsibilities through these.
- Knowledge and practical experience with support approaches often found to be helpful in support
to children and adults with ASD (i.e. social stories/sensory needs/communication aids/applied
behaviour analysis/environmental modifications).
- Ability to develop and implement support approaches, model these approaches to family members,
and then fade gradually all the while providing practical and emotional support to families and the
child/adult with ASD.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A valid Driver’s License, with a minimum G2, a reliable vehicle and willingness to travel.
- French language skills will be considered an asset.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we focus on health and wellness including fitness
and family- focused benefits and work life balance.
Kerry’s Place is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusivity in
employment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons. Kerry’s Place is also committed to
providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work
with you to meet your needs.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-23