OverviewIWK Health Centre Materials & Equipment Coordinator, Birth Unit Full Time in Halifax, NS
IWK Health Centre
Branch Halifax NS CA
Materials & Equipment Coordinator, Birth Unit
Makes recommendations for supply and logistics. Reporting to the Manager of Birth Unit and under the direction of the Managers of the Women’s and Newborn Health…
Reporting to the Manager of Birth Unit and under the direction of the Managers of the Women’s and Newborn Health Program the Material & Equipment Coordinator is responsible for the co-ordination of an effective and efficient purchasing and inventory program for supplies, equipment and services for the Women’s and Newborn Health Program, including requisitioning medical surgical supplies, instruments, implants, loaner equipment and consignment items. He/she is responsible for receiving and storage of supplies as listed. The Materials and Equipment Coordinator collaborates with the Purchasing Department to ensure the procurement of goods and services is being performed in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the Purchasing department. He/she will maintain knowledge of and utilize group purchasing contracts as per IWK commitment and/or other approved vendors.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring the specific needs of the WNH Program are met in the most efficient manner possible by establishing and maintaining an Inventory System
• Constantly monitoring stock and non-stock supplies with the intent of streamlining the number and types of products acquired within the WNH Program
• Facilitating loaning/borrowing and returning of supplies and equipment from within Health Centre/ Vendors or other facilities
• Communicating with Manager and/or Clinical Leader with regards to significant spending; instrument purchases and repair, and other specific high cost products
• Investigating of required approvals/licensing for Canadian purchases: i.e. Health Canada
• Initiating, and managing purchase requisition orders (including evaluation/no charge/sample/repairs/loaner)
• Obtaining vendor quotes for capital equipment and expendable budget request
• Working with companies to resolve issues of supply/demand and costs. Discuss vendor performance topics such as efficiency of service, lead times, and back orders. Makes recommendations for supply and logistics
• Communicating with clinical staff and physicians in regards to implementation of new equipment/supplies, supply status, product substitions, packaging changes, etc
• Maintain third party reprocessing database and monitor program
• Liaising with Surgery/ Anesthesiology/OR leadership, Purchasing Department, and Vendors
Hours of Work
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday; 0800-1600, 7.5 hour shifts
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Graduate from a recognized two-year Business Administration Diploma Program required and a minimum of 6 months previous work experience in a similar role required.An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Two to five years previous Operating Room or SPD experience preferred
- Bachelors Degree in Commerce or Business preferred
- Additional courses in EDP, Principles of Buying and Inventory Control required
- Purchasing designation/diploma would be considered an asset
- Level II in either PMAC or PLog preferred
- Purchasing designation/diploma would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated high degree of independent decision-making, self-direction, motivation, change-management knowledge and team building/leadership skills.
- Materials management software knowledge an asset
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel spreadsheets and other computer programs/technology required (testing may be conducted on candidates)
- Keyboarding skills minimum of 40 wpm required, 60 wpm is preferred (testing may be conducted on candidates)
- Demonstrated and/or experience with SAP an asset
- Competencies in other languages considered an asset; French preferred.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-11