IESO Advisor, Communications Temporary in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
In the Policy, Engagement and Innovation business unit, this position reports to the Supervisor of Media Relations and Editorial Services, in the Stakeholder…
The Advisor, Communications reports into the Manager, Media Relations, Issues Management, Corporate Communications.
Design and implement communications plans for organizational initiatives, including the development of written communication, promotional materials, mailings, press releases and web copy, among other products. Assist supervisor/manager/senior manager/director in administering policies and giving advice to business units and executives that cover the broad field of marketing/communications activities, public affairs and corporate relations. Represent the company at a variety of events including meetings, round tables, information sessions, trade shows and conferences, sometimes making a presentation on behalf of the organization. Source, select, research, organize, write, review and edit communications materials. Work with the Web Services group to plan, develop, deploy and help develop content for the external web site(s) and Intranet site
In the Policy, Engagement and Innovation business unit, this position reports to the Supervisor of Media Relations and Editorial Services, in the Stakeholder and Public Affairs group. This role serves as a key contact for business units throughout the organization to help communicate corporate initiatives to primarily external audiences. The Advisor, Communications, develops and implements communications plans for organizational initiatives, writes speeches and develops presentations for executive leadership team members, develops corporate reports such as the business plan and the annual report, and provides other editorial services as required, including articles, news releases, brochures and web content, among others.
- Design and implement communications plans, including the development of written communication, promotional materials, mailings, press releases and web copy, among other products. Developing a communications plan includes identifying the appropriate communications approach, objectives, target audiences, communications vehicles and issues, and developing key messages, associated products (including those for social media) and measures of effectiveness.
- Assist supervisor/manager/senior manager/director in administering policies and giving advice to business units and executives that cover the broad field of marketing/communications activities, public affairs and corporate relations.
- As assigned, develop corporate policies and guidelines as they relate to communications (Communications Policy, sponsorship guidelines, etc.)
- Maintain an understanding of plans, activities and issues in key areas of the organization and their potential impact on the organization’s relationships with its customers, the energy industry and the public. Maintain an awareness of latest media relations, social media, customer, public and employee communications techniques, key customer service, stakeholder and public policy trends developing or being used outside the organization.
- Identify to supervisor/manager/senior manager/director any issues arising or likely to arise from the public, customers, media, key stakeholders or within the organization. Recommend immediate, short and medium-term strategies, communication, actions and programs for addressing such issues with specific audiences. Write issue notes, briefing notes and backgrounders to assist in issues management as required. Ensure proactive, timely communications and monitoring of IESO initiatives that impact customers.
- Review, edit, research and write copy forreports, brochures, bulletins, booklets, external newsletters, emails and other communication products. Develop and issue communications to targeted distribution lists as required. Manage projects, including high-profile reports and events, from inception through development to approvals and production when required.
- As assigned, act as a member of the Crisis Communications Team as part of the IESO’s responsibilities for emergency preparedness governing the operation of the provincial electricity system.
- Foster opportunities for media, industry and public presentations of information regarding the role of the IESO in the electricity sector. Shape speaking engagement with event organizers, when required, to ensure the IESO’s engagement will support key corporate messages and strategies. Develop speeches and presentations for executive leadership team members and support other executive outreach as required. .
- Represent the company at a variety of events including meetings, round tables, information sessions, trade shows and conferences, sometimes making a presentation on behalf of the organization.
- Respond to written or oral requests for information from the public, media, key stakeholders and employees and, on occasion, in response to articles or public statements by these groups as required within specified tight time frames.
- Develop and maintain a network of communication and other subject matter experts across the organization. Coordinate with ministry staff and other electricity sector agencies as required.
- Work with employees, stakeholders, customers and others on communications requirements, and assess public and stakeholder environments and likely reactions to proposed initiatives, to identify the most effective communications approaches and products. Obtain approvals for plans and content of materials from subject matter experts and others and ensure quality control.
- Coordinate development and delivery of communications services for specific policy and program initiatives. Implement approved communications plans. Source, select, research, organize, write, review and edit communications materials. Ensure that all contents meet organizational standards and reflects corporate priorities and strategies.
- Work with the Web Services group to plan, develop, deploy and help develop content for the external web site(s) and Intranet site. Coordinate archiving of materials.
- Develop evaluation and measurement techniques to assess the effectiveness of communications products and recommend follow-up strategies and alternative communications techniques for future projects, if appropriate.
- Provide periodic, limited supervision over and direction to others, including vendors, designated to assist on certain projects/work programs.
- As assigned, oversee the delivery of corporate messaging in French as required across various mediums including corporate website and written publications and materials, to ensure that the IESO fulfills its legislative requirements with respect to French language services.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Internal staff when implementing communication plans and developing communication, marketing, promotional materials, web content, etc.
- Requires exchanging information, reaching agreement on controversial methods of approach and influencing others to adopt a course of action in keeping with corporate communication standards, policies and objectives.
- Communications service agencies when preparing brochures, marketing and promotional materials, to solicit input and information from them, to coordinate activities with them and to influence them to conform to the corporation’s quality standards, budget, and time constraints, which could be in conflict with the interests of parties concerned.
- External parties to exchange information, to promote a better understanding and awareness of the company’s role through customer education programs, and to influence them to adopt points of view consistent with the company objectives, which might be controversial in nature.
- 6-8 years experience
- 4 year University degree
- French proficiency an asset
- Experience gained in communications, media or public relations to acquire an understanding of effective communication techniques, planning, methods and practices.
- Experience in gathering, researching and preparing communications materials for internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of communications, business, or computer science to design and implement marketing and communication plans, including the development of written communication, promotional materials, mailing and press releases, to translate technical and/or specialized material and terminology into language that is appropriate for internal and external audiences, to source, select, organize, write, review and edit communications materials and to plan, , develop, deploy and help develop content for external web site(s) and Intranet site.
- Experience in handling media relations and public relations to act as spokesperson and answer written and oral enquiries, and to maintain a network of communication and subject matter experts.
- Maintain an understanding of plans, activities and issues in key areas of the organization and their potential impact on the organization’s relationships with its stakeholders and customers
- Familiarity with the organization, the interrelationships between departments, communication policies, strategies, and facility operational activities.
- Planning, development and promotion of communications plans to ensure appropriate judgment is exercised in the development and management of communication program.
- Strong writing and editing skills with great attention to detail
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Understanding People
- Impact and Influence
- Consulting Orientation
What the IESO Offers:
- Competitive market wages
- Comprehensive benefit programs
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle
- A challenging fast-paced team environment
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.