Employment Type: Full Time
Posted on: 2017-01-25
Herzog Railroad Services, Inc. Equipment Operators Full Time in Saskatoon, SK
Herzog Railroad Services, Inc.
Branch Saskatoon SK CA
Extensive travel required for extended periods of time at various locations in Canada. Pass a motor vehicle check and be able to meet Herzog’s driving policy …
Herzog Railroad Services of Canada, LTD is currently looking for experienced Excavator Operators to operate and maintain our fleet of specialty rail maintenance equipment. This career opportunity includes extensive nationwide travel. Our operators work alongside the Major Railroads we serve across Canada. Our employees go wherever and whenever needed to ensure the highest customer satisfaction and quality work. Our employees receive paid training, daily travel allowance, mileage reimbursement and a competitive hourly wage. Safety:
- Herzog is nationally recognized for its excellent corporate safety record which results from all employees at all levels, in all positions adhering to established policies and procedures. Reporting any and all safety violations to your immediate supervisor is a prerequisite for continued employment. Safety diligence by all results in a safe work environment for all.
- Our operators go the extra mile to meet our customer’s needs. Extensive travel time is required in this position. Approximately 80% of time OR MORE may be spent away from home on an annual basis. Extended periods working in a location are to be expected. While our operators are compensated accordingly, this commitment to travel time should be seriously considered prior to applying for this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate specialized heavy equipment-Herzog Multi-Purpose Machine
- Work day, night, and weekend shifts
- Work extended hours (time and a half over 40hrs/wk.)
- Be on call and ready to mobilize in short notice.
- Drive lengthy distances to reach jobsites (coast to coast travel potential)
- Work in sometimes remote locations
- Perform routine mechanical maintenance to equipment
- Perform light duty mechanical repairs (hoses, fittings, wiring, fuses, etc.)
- Use of laptop and Microsoft office products daily
- Use of wireless internet devices, touch screen devices and email use
- High School Diploma or GED
- Pass and maintain e-RAILSAFE pre-employment background check and safety certification (as mandated by Herzog’s Railroad customers).
- Employees/applicants can be denied access to the railroad property if they have:
- A felony conviction within the last 7 years
- An active warrant or open court case
- A fraud alert and/or your release from incarceration within the last 5 years and/or a history of misdemeanors or crimes of concern.
- Pass a motor vehicle check and be able to meet Herzog’s driving policy (no major driving offense in the last 3 years)
- Pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol drug test
- Pass a pre-employment physical and medical evaluation
- Previous track hoe, back hoe, and excavator experience required.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability preferred.
- Previous Railroad experience is desirable but not required
- Must furnish own reliable transportation such as pickup truck.
- Extensive travel required for extended periods of time at various locations in Canada
- Must furnish basic hand tools
- Basic mechanical ability required. Ability to troubleshoot mechanical issues
- Must provide steel toe boots (safety vest, glasses and hardhat provided)
- Must be able to cover travel expenses (if required) until 1st paycheck is processed (approximately 7-10 after start date)
- Able to visually distinguish colors – red, blue, green, yellow; hear and distinguish auditory signals
- Successfully complete and maintain any required safety certification and testing on annual basis.
- Work in extreme all-weather conditions; uneven surfaces; safety sensitive work environment
- Able to walk on uneven surfaces over sometimes great distances; frequently climb on/off equipment; climb ladders frequently
- Use hands to perform activities involving grasping, turning, holding and pulling
- Able to work in conditions with loud noise; work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, walk, stand and sit for extended time; and use hand tools
- Exert 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly
Herzog Railroad Services of Canada, Ltd. is an Equal Equity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent