OverviewHealth Quality Ontario Quality Improvement Specialist Full Time in Toronto, ON
Health Quality Ontario
Branch Toronto ON CA
Quality Improvement Specialist
Primary care, mental health, palliative care, equity, Health Links, patient engagement,. Quality efforts related to patient engagement or patient relations, or…
The Quality Improvement Specialist works with provincial and regional teams to identify and plan
for quality improvement (QI) opportunities, catalyze and spread QI and best practices, connect
the QI ecosystem and build capacity and knowledge.
The QI Specialist interacts on a day-to-day basis and collaborates with key stakeholders and
partners across the province to support the evolution of quality improvement strategy and
implementation initiatives. While the QI Specialist would be expected to participate in various
activities related to the work of the department, their primary role would be to support our work
with the provincial Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) program and our overall work in supporting
quality within the community setting and within the mental health and addiction sector. Other
activities may include supporting quality efforts in other sectors or cross-sectoral work, supporting
quality efforts related to patient engagement or patient relations, or supporting efforts related to
equity and other emerging strategies to advance collaborative, cross sector care. This role may
include developing implementation strategies and resources (e.g. toolkits, webinars, guidance
materials) designed to support the adoption of evidence, leading and developing communities of
practice, and working with other key stakeholders to develop and monitor quality improvement
programming or topic-specific education interventions. The QI Specialist would also be
responsible for developing reports, briefing notes, implementation plans, and presentations.
Finally, this role may also involve supporting committees and working groups comprised of both
internal and external stakeholders, as well as other supporting other collaborative projects related
to Health Quality Ontario’s strategic objectives.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO?
Supports improvements in health care quality
• Working in partnership with key stakeholders and organizations, develops and
implements strategies to facilitate the uptake of HQO’s strategic initiatives and programs
130 Bloor Street West, 10th Floor, Toronto ON, M5S 1N5 | Tel: 416 323-6868 | Toll-free: 1 866 623-6868 | Fax: 416 323-9261
• Supports the successful execution of projects and initiatives related to the provincial
Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) program, including the identification of priorities and
indicators, making recommendations related to technical specifications, the development
of analysis and knowledge translation strategies, and the development of tools and
resources to support organizations with their improvement efforts
• Promotes best practices in patient and family engagement, including strategies and
tactics to improve and measure the patient experience
• Contributes to the development of customized tools and products to translate knowledge
to practice, collaborating with cross-departmental colleagues to support evidence-based
content development and ensuring documents, tools, web content, presentations, video
scripts, brochures and educational materials reflect key messages and desired objectives
and support HQO’s mandate
• Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to analyze data from a variety of
sources (e.g., QIPs, HSP and CIHI reports) to identify care and service gaps and to
identify innovative approaches worthy of further testing and/or large-scale implementation
Builds Capacity and Knowledge
• Collaborates to improve overall capacity within the system through activities including
collaboration with the IDEAS (Improving and Driving Excellence across Sectors) program,
other HQO and system programs, and the LHINs.
• Demonstrates subject matter expertise in HQO priority issues such as: Quality Standards,
primary care, mental health, palliative care, equity, Health Links, patient engagement,
transitions in care, access to care, etc.
• Functions as a Health Quality Ontario ambassador both formally (e.g., at provincial or
national events) and informally, through day-to-day interactions
• Builds trust with key stakeholders and peers through honesty, integrity, professionalism
• Establishes and maintains strong internal and external relationships with agencies,
associations, ministries, partners, and other key stakeholders
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have:
• Undergraduate degree in Health Policy, Health Administration, Quality Improvement,
Health Sciences, Health Informatics, Applied Psychology or other relevant discipline,
Masters’ degree preferred
• Additional education in Quality Improvement (QI) or implementation science preferred
e.g., Lean or Six Sigma black belt, IHI Improvement Advisor
5 years’ experience in clinical or health system policy, with:
• Responsibility for improving quality in a care setting
• Project management skills
• Oral and written communication skills
• Experience engaging clinicians, staff, patients and families in design and implementation
of delivery of clinical care. Understanding of local priorities, enablers and barriers to
improving quality and delivery of care
• Knowledge of implementation science or of health care in the community and mental
health and addiction sectors would be considered an asset
• Lean or Six Sigma green belt, IDEAS 9-day program, SME Bronze Lean certification, IHI
Improvement Advisor certification, American Society of Quality (ASQ) certification or
Knowledge Translation Specialist certification
• Superior or better verbal French language skills based on Ontario Government Standards
• International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) certification an asset
• A degree resulting in an Ontario college-regulated healthcare professional designation is
• Knowledge, skills and understanding of the key factors required to work cooperatively in
teams and groups, facilitating and managing group dynamics
• Ability to work independently with teams of key internal and external stakeholders to
achieve deliverables, manage expectations and track performance
• Proven ability to develop rapport with health providers, funders, patients and other
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deliverables on schedule with high
• Excellent judgment skills in setting priorities, identifying issues, problem solving and
structured approaches to determining and executing solutions
• Proven ability to respond to a wide variety of issues and deal with unclear situations and
• Background knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s health system and health issues
(or the capacity to learn quickly)
• Professionalism, reliability and detail orientation
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite skills, in particular Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and
Key Organizational Competencies:
• Think Strategically: Think broadly to build long-term success; understand health care
system impacts and maintain internal alignment.
• Develop People: Grow leadership capacity by investing time and resources to attract,
retain and develop people. Build skills.
• Be Agile: Quickly respond to and shape an ever-changing health care system. Adapt,
navigate and thrive in changing circumstances.
• Act as One Organization: Align on and build consistent business processes; set
standards to ensure effective, quality health care delivery.
• Nurture Partnerships and Relationships: Cultivate effective and influential working
relationships (internal and external) and collaborate to achieve mutually beneficial goals.
Work effectively across the system.
• Build Credibility: Take personal ownership for delivering results and adding value in
every interaction. Continually earn our place as a critical player in the Health Care
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a covering letter and resume to [email protected] by 4:30
p.m. on the closing date, quoting the above competition number as well as your name. We thank all
candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-03-15