Employment Type: Freelance
Posted on: 2016-07-09
Halton Multicultural Council Community and/or Youth Settlement Specialists Contract in Peel, ON
Halton Multicultural Council
Branch Peel ON CA
Community and/or Youth Settlement Specialists
Post secondary education in the field of Social Services and two years related work experience. The following contracts are available:….
The following contracts are available:
- Full time 35 hours/week up to 3 month supply/replacing a leave of absence after which hours will go to casual/on call. Must be fluent in Punjabi, Urdu and/or Hindi.
- Full time 35 hours/week up to March 31, 2017 with a possibility of extension. Must be fluent in Arabic and/or Mandarin.
Posting closes: July 18, 2016 4 pm
Rate of pay: $25.34/hour.
Please upload your resume and cover letter, to [email protected] .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides referrals linking clients with specific settlement needs to available resources in the community.
- Dispenses practical guidance and counselling to assist clients who are encountering difficulties in adjusting to life in Canada.
- Provides interpretation to facilitate interaction between the newcomer and the community and assist the newcomer’s day to day survival prior to obtaining basic knowledge of one of the official languages.
- Provides group information sessions for newcomer families and teachers to augment their integration process.
- Works as part of the Settlement Team to ensure the smooth delivery and coordination of services to clients.
- Conducts outreach and information sessions for schools and other community agencies.
- Maintains client and volunteer files, monthly reports, expenditures and relevant program assignments.
- Assumes other responsibilities that may be assigned which contribute to the team effort and achieve the Council’s mission.
- Other duties as may reasonably be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous multi-stakeholder relations experience.
- An understanding of the unique experiences of newcomer families and the process of integration.
- Strong network of contacts with Halton community agencies, including various ethno-racial groups and community committees.
- A vulnerable sector Police Clearance.
- Ability to travel throughout the Region of Halton.
- Bilingual with fluency in any of the following: Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu,
- Post secondary education in the field of Social Services and two years related work experience.
- Current knowledge of legislation, policies and practices affecting new immigrants, refugees, visitors, and other newcomers.
- Excellent public relation skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, Excel, MS Access, MS publisher software programs.
- Knowledge of group process and facilitation techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, organizing and planning skills.
- Able to work independently and within a team context to ensure the Council’s mission, standards of practice and guiding principles are met.
- Excellent Verbal and written communication.
- Able to relate to children, youth and parents.
- Self-motivated, creative, and energetic.