OverviewGreater Toronto Airports Authority Specialist, Airport Surface Maintenance Temporary in Toronto, ON
Greater Toronto Airports Authority
Branch Toronto ON CA
Specialist, Airport Surface Maintenance
May act as first level response to contain oil and other spills or clean up debris on Airfield and Groundside, and deliver Airport Emergency Support equipment…
This position will report to the Manager, Runways and Taxiways. Under the daily supervision of the Supervisor, Airport Surface Maintenance, this position is responsible for maintaining surfaces, roads, ground related areas, and bussing operations of the Airport.
- Maintain and repair all airport surfaces including airside and groundside (asphalt, concrete and gravel), and operate construction equipment as well as specialized airport equipment.
- Conduct walk about inspections and picking up FOD (Foreign Object Debris) and litter for all airport areas.
- Repair and maintain all fences and non-illuminated signs and inspecting signs and fences when required
- May act as first level response to contain oil and other spills or clean up debris on Airfield and Groundside, and deliver Airport Emergency Support equipment as required.
- Demonstrate to new employees the proper method of operating Surface Maintenance equipment and conduct AVOP training as assigned
- Conducting daily inspections and cleaning in accordance with the, maintenance programs on all mobile equipment and vehicles being utilized.
- Maintain cleanliness of assigned facilities such as AMF.
- Maintaining all grass areas by operating tractors, mowers and hand held trimming machines
- Operating a variety of equipment designed for the airport to control ice and snow contamination on the movement area
- Manually clear obstructions such as snow and ice from airfield edge markers, signs, and other areas as required
- Application of de-icing and anti-icing chemicals as required
- Conduct daily circle checks of assigned busses and complete vehicle log book
- Clean, fuel and ensure GTAA operated busses are operationally ready
- Adhoc driving as required including corporate sponsored events and tours
- Other duties as required
- The successful candidate must have Secondary School education and/or experience in heavy equipment operation and will possess a valid “D/Z” Provincial Driver’s License.
- He/She must possess a “D” class Airside Vehicle Operator’s Permit (AVOP) or successfully obtain one within thirty (30) days of appointment to the position
- Must enroll in CZ license training provided by GTAA and obtain CZ license – external candidates with this license classification would be considered an asset
- Snow Removal, construction, heavy equipment experience would be considered an asset
- Must meet the security level designated for the position – if candidates are external, holding a valid Restricted Area Card would be considered an asset
- Must be able to obtain and retain a Transportation Security Clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of ISO 14001, spills containment procedures; Hazmat and TDG procedures as they relate to the job
- Knowledge of the airfield and groundside layout; maneuvering on the airfield; surface repairs on asphalt, concrete and gravel surfaces and maintenance work related to maintaining these surfaces; including knowledge of fence and sign repair
- Knowledge of the operation, mechanics, inspection and regular maintenance of buses and other equipment such as snow plow/sweeper/blower units, chemical applicators and back hoe
- The successful candidate must also have the ability to utilize a vehicle to deter wildlife from posing a threat to aircraft as required
- Lift varied amounts of weight for extended periods of time and work in all types of weather conditions
- The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills, show initiative and sound judgment, be dependable and show a mature approach, and also have tact and resourcefulness in conflict and pressure situations
- The incumbent must demonstrate an excellent command of the English language and communication in both orally and in written form; and have a customer service mindset
- Ability to work on a rotational shift basis (days, afternoons, midnights) and be on standby
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-18