OverviewGreat West Life Middleware Infrastructure Specialist Designer Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
Great West Life
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Middleware Infrastructure Specialist Designer
As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance,…
The Technology Solutions Centre, as part of the Shared Enterprise Services organization, provides expertise in the development of design solutions, evaluation of modern & emerging technologies and implementation of solutions that are not business purpose specific.
Application Platform Technology Solutions, as part of Middleware Technology Solutions within the Technology Solutions Centre, is the domain focused on:
- Offering products and services that require in depth expertise in the design, build, test, delivery, support, and/or repair of solutions whose primary intent is an application runtime capable of hosting internal and/or vendor-supplied applications. A knowledge of application platform tools, technologies and best practices, examples would include:
- WebSphere Portal Server;
- Continuous availability patterns.
- Experience would be beneficial in the creation and deployment of solutions providing an environment where:
- Applications can run regardless of platform;
- Applications can execute, no matter what the applications are or what they do.
Middleware Infrastructure Specialists have responsibilities at both the project and global technology levels. They may participate in technology research or implementation projects, as well as application development projects. At the project level, Middleware Infrastructure Specialists work closely with the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) sponsor and project team staff to ensure effective technology solutions are being designed and implemented. Middleware Infrastructure Specialists participate in direction setting within the technology centre, which contributes to the Global Technology Services standards.
- Develop solutions using design principles and best practices
- Provide technical expertise to projects and support teams with emphasis on constructing solutions through integration of infrastructure and applications including 3 rd party products
- Support the development of implementation strategies and plans including identification of technical work packages, dependencies, estimates and schedules
- Detailed infrastructure design and development of technical specifications for target environment(s)
- Support procurement activities including requests for acquisition
- Build and configure technology solutions as dictated by the non-functional requirements
- Support target environments during build, software packaging and distribution, testing, and implementation phases
- Document operational and recovery procedures
- Transition solutions to production
- Evaluate modern and emerging technologies
- Support application integration
- Contribute to training strategies and business implementation planning
- Provide technology leadership to business partners and IS staff
Qualifications and Competencies :
- Degree/diploma in technology related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years experience implementing or supporting technology infrastructure
- Ability to design technology implementations
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Solid communications and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to write effective documentation that is clear and meaningful to the target audience
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Effective internal consulting skills with a strong customer service orientation
- Attention to detail and effective planning and organizational skills
- Technical specialization in the following areas:
Application Platform Technologies:
- Proven expertise in developing solution designs for Java/J2EE/JVM servers specifically the following products:
- WebSphere Portal, WebSphere Application Server, IBM Web Content Manager
- Proven expertise in the management and administration of Java/J2EE/JVM servers
- Proven expertise in application integration
- Proven expertise of WebSphere structure (e.g. Cell, Node, configuration levels) and Portal structure and artifacts (e.g. portlets, themes, access control)
- Proven expertise in the characteristics of clustered implementation, failover techniques and continuous availability
- Experience with the use of scripts for automation of operational procedures (e.g. jacl, jython)
- Experience in the design and deploy of solutions through multi-tier environments, including support and co-ordination of other domain specialists
- Experience integrating with external authentication products (e.g. Webseal)
- Experience with performance and availability monitoring tools
- Knowledge of the characteristics of TCP/IP and related protocols
- Knowledge in the use of standard network tools (e.g. Wireshark) and product specific tools (e.g. Tivoli Performance Viewer) to investigate and resolve issues and conduct performance tuning
- Knowledge of other web related technologies would be beneficial (e.g. Apache Tomcat, Microsoft IIS)
- Knowledge of automated provisioning would be beneficial
We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
Discover your opportunity….
Apply with cover letter and resume by August 14, 2015.
We foster a culture where a wide range of professionals are learning, growing, and shaping their careers to achieve their personal and professional goals. We’re an organization that cares for our customers, our staff and our communities.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of 12 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2015-07-31