OverviewGovernment of Alberta Collections Paralegal Full Time in Edmonton, AB
Government of Alberta
Branch Edmonton AB CA
High School Diploma and a minimum three years of related experience as paralegal or legal assistant. The Collections Paralegal is responsible for:….
May 27, 2015
Administrative Support 5 – 015ASA
Justice and Solicitor General
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General is looking for a Collections Paralegal to join its Fines Enforcement Program.
The Fines Enforcement Program is responsible for the recovery of overdue Criminal Code fines, Traffic Safety Act tickets and own recognizance Bail Forfeitures payable to the Province of Alberta. The Collections Paralegal is responsible for:
- Preparing and processing all pertinent legal documentation for enforcement action
- Overseeing the processing of all monies received through collection action
- Coordinating the search, registration, renewal and discharge of debts on all assigned accounts through the Alberta Personal Property Registry
- Accessing databases to verify and obtain information pertinent to various phases of the collection process
- Organizing and managing all legal files and related documentation
- Other legal administrative duties as required
The successful candidate will have :
- A comprehensive knowledge of the legal documentation required in the civil enforcement process and related court filing procedures
- Knowledge of the Alberta Rules of Court, Civil Enforcement Act, Criminal Code Traffic Safety Act, and other related legislation
- The ability to independently research the legal requirements for recommended enforcement actions where no precedent exists
- An understanding of administrative processes involved in a collections environment, including basic accounting and records management
- The ability to communicate in a clear, concise and diplomatic manner when dealing with a diverse group of stakeholders
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent keyboarding skills and proficiency with Excel and other computer systems/applications (i.e., Microsoft Office, related databases)
High School Diploma and a minimum three years of related experience as paralegal or legal assistant. A Legal Administration Diploma or Certificate would be considered an asset. Experience working in a collections setting would be considered beneficial. Experience with the Alberta Personal Property Electronic System (APPRES) would be an asset (Note: must have a certificate of accreditation or will be required to complete this course to obtain same). Equivalencies will be considered.
$1,798.32 – $2,201.76 bi-weekly
This competition may be used to fill both permanent and temporary positions for current and future vacancies. Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary. Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a Security Screening.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted as ONE file. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your lastname, then firstname (Smith,Joe_Resume). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are UNABLE to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID # to Kathleen Kane, Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, Human Resource Services, 2nd Floor, 108 Street Building, 9942-108 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2J5; Phone: (780) 644-2349; Fax: (780) 643-9425.
Please provide a VALID e-mail address with your application as Interview Invitations will be sent out by e-mail.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) – http://eae.alberta.ca/labour-and-immigration/overview-of-immigration/international-qualifications-assessment-service.aspx It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. Due to the large volume of applicants, we regret we cannot confirm that our office has received resumes.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-05-22