OverviewGE Careers Software Engineering Intern (May, 8 mnths) Full Time in Burnaby, BC
Branch Burnaby BC CA
Software Engineering Intern (May, 8 mnths)
With us, you will expand your knowledge of cutting-edge software development practices while working in a highly collaborative start-up environment….
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Bit Stew Systems Inc:
Bit Stew Systems is the creator of the market leading platform for Software Defined Operations for the Industrial Internet. Through data-driven automation, Bit Stew Systems removes the complexity of industrial operations and connected machines to give clarity and control back to the operator.
Purpose-built for the Industrial Internet of Things, Bit Stew’s Mix Core™ platform automates data ingestion, applies machine intelligence to learn patterns in the data, allowing industrial companies to discover actionable insights that optimize operational performance. MIx Director™ (formerly Grid Director™) is powered by the MIx Core platform, and is the application that industrial enterprises rely on for a contextual and real-time view of their operations, assets and customers.
Acquired by GE in 2016, Bit Stew Systems allows GE to provide greater value to its Digital customers.
Want to know what we’re working on at GE Canada? Visit www.gereports.ca.
GE Canada is recognized as one of the Top Employers for Young People in 2017.
To learn more about our Campus program please go to: www.campuscareers.ge.ca
GE Business: GE Digital Location: Burnaby, BC
Duration: 8 Months
Anticipated Start Date: May 2017
Number of positions: 3
Reporting to: Director-Application Engineering or Director – Software Engineering
Application Deadline: January 31, 2017
By 2020, there will be over 50 billion connected devices. Many of those devices are related to the Industrial Internet of Things. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will drive value in solving real-world problems facing the onslaught of data that industrial companies now face. Work that you do here at GE Digital will drive actionable insight turning billions of daily data points into key metrics for our customers and partners.
You will be collaborating with your SCRUM team (developers, QA, and technical writers, product owner, and scrum master) to develop and test functionality on our MIx Core Platform and MIx Director Suite. Working with team members, you may get the opportunity to design, implement and test new product functionality. You’ll have the opportunity to also demonstrate the work that you do to team members and other stakeholders.
With us, you will expand your knowledge of cutting-edge software development practices while working in a highly collaborative start-up environment.
Nature of work:
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to);
• Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with stakeholders;
• Implement and unit test designs as outlined by senior members of the team;
• Ensure the software is designed and written to be easily maintainable and can achieve high performance;
• Leverage a world-class development experience on the MIx Developer Network;
• Design and develop software for the Industrial Internet of Things providing real-time actionable insights for customers;
• Clearly communicate blocking issues and collaborate with others to resolve in a timely fashion;
• Accomplish engineering and organization missions by completing related results as needed;
• Complete assigned tasks within the timeframe specified in the product development plan.
Do you qualify? We are seeking…
• Individuals with less than 2 years of work experience (outside of co-op/internship/summer work experience);
• Good understanding of object oriented programming (ie: Java or equivalent);
• Good understanding with RESTful Web Services;
• A self-starter, with the resourcefulness to seek resolutions to issues by leveraging the greater team;
• Results-driven and strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
• Thirst for knowledge, interest in continuously learning new ways of solving problems;
• Excellent English written and verbal communication skills;
• Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
• College Diploma, University Bachelor, or Master Degree in course of completion in Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent related discipline.
• Open to both current students who will be returning to their in-class studies upon the completion of the work term and recent graduates who have completed their studies within the past 2 years
Candidates are to submit a cover letter and resume. It is a mandatory requirement that you identify your school, cumulative GPA, and anticipated graduation date as part of the application process.
Please note that this position does not provide a subsidy for relocation expenses.
• Full stack web application development experience is a plus;
• Experience with XML/XSLT/XPATH;
• Experience with Distributed Systems;
• Development experience in Linux also a benefit;
• Understanding of NoSQL & Big Data Technologies;
• Experience with Agile development methodologies;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse people in virtual team settings.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining GE.
Locations: Canada ; British Columbia; Burnaby
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-23