OverviewFWS Group Construction Safety Officer Full Time in Saskatchewan
Branch SK CA
Construction Safety Officer
Conducts and maintains records of all safety orientations for FWS new and current employees and visitors, provides general safety orientation for sub…
Responsible for promoting, administering, and ensuring compliance with FWS Health and Safety program requirements, WCB/OHS/OSHA regulations, and owner requirements. Must be familiar with all FWS documentation requirements. Will take direction from and be in constant communication with the Superintendent.
NOTE: These positions are anticipatory and require travel and extended periods away from home. Project locations in BC, AB & SK; details to follow.
- Conducts and maintains records of all safety orientations for FWS new and current employees and visitors, provides general safety orientation for sub-contractors as delegated by Superintendent, issues hard hat decals. Ensures employees are sufficiently trained for their tasks. This includes PPE training, such as fall protection and respiratory protection.
- Holds and documents morning Hazard Assessment briefing with jobsite crew in conjunction with the Superintendent.
- Holds and documents a Task Hazard Assessment with crews involved on all new or hazardous tasks in conjunction with the responsible crew leader.
- Arranges for and documents all required “site-specific Safe Job Procedures with the Superintendent.
- Arranges, chairs, plans for appropriate topics, and documents weekly Toolbox Safety Meetings with the Superintendent. Reviews documented minutes of sub-contractors Toolbox Meetings and assists with delegating corrective measures where required.
- Arranges, conducts, and documents site safety committee meetings in accordance with jurisdictional requirements. Reviews results with the Superintendent and follows up on recommendations from the meetings.
- Conducts and documents weekly formal Site Safety Inspections with at least one FWS employee.
- Maintains WHMIS program on site, maintains material safety data sheets for all hazardous (controlled) products used on site.
- Investigates on-site incidents, obtains witness statements, verifies information, and prepares investigation reports and injury reports.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent on safety-related Employee Disciplinary measures.
- Provides primary first aid care for injured employees and maintains records of first aid given.
- Administers and issues hot work permits and ensure stated safety precautions are in compliance.
- Administers Lock Out program where applicable.
- Establishes emergency planning with the Superintendent.
- Pleasant demeanor with an ability to handle multiple time-sensitive tasks while working within a team environment.
- Knowledgeable about construction safety, regulations, and techniques.
- Possesses Current First Aid certificate and CPR training (preferably at an advanced level).
- Possesses effective negotiating skills, tact, and diplomacy.
- Is persistent and assertive in implementing appropriate safety practices.
- Computer proficiency is an asset.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license.
- General safety courses are beneficial.
- Previous experience working in the safety field managing aspects of onsite construction and the ability to provide oversight to develop site-specific safety initiatives, training, and reporting procedures are an asset.
- This role is typically a term assignment and is generally split with other duties as directed by the Superintendent.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: , SK, CA
Posted on: 2016-06-03