Employment Type: Temporary
Posted on: 2016-05-19
Fortis Energy Operations Financial Analyst Temporary in Surrey, BC
Branch Surrey BC CA
Operations Financial Analyst
Performs all general cost accounting and budgeting activities for an assigned operational group, including handling and scheduling a variety of financial…
Length of Temporary Job
Approximately 18 months
Approximate End Date for Temporary Job
Responsibilities Performs all general cost accounting and budgeting activities for an assigned operational group, including handling and scheduling a variety of financial activities within strict guidelines and in accordance with applicable policies and procedures as established by Business Leader – Finance, Accounting Manager and/or Corporate Finance. Accesses privileged and confidential information as required to perform assigned duties.
Coordinates and develops operational unit budgets, in association with Business Leaders and Managers, including:
Prepares regular performance and variance reviews, in associations with Business Leaders and Managers, including participating in the analysis of activities, unit costs and program expenditures to explain variances and recommend remedial action; and to coordinate the preparation of year end forecasts.
Maintains a current knowledge of applicable accounting and financial systems, policies, coding and procedures. Advises the operational group regarding application of accounting and financial procedures to aid in the understanding and effective use of financial reports and other activity related information.
Participates in the development of recommendations to enhance or establish financial policies and procedures, reporting forms and formats and related issues.
Prepares, sets up and reviews work orders and other job costing system entries, journal vouchers and relevant financial reports for accuracy, justifiability and completeness as necessary
Conducts research and special analyses related to operational unit activities, unit costs and programs, including:
- assembling and analyzing historical cost and activity data necessary to prepare budget projections for discussion and approval;
- making adjustments for reasonableness, supported with justification as required, based on historical, current and projected financial operating environment;
- coordinating and preparing justifications for a variety of budget items such as operating and maintenance items, medium and long range capital expenditure forecasts and future business programs.
Participates in the development of financial and other management information systems including:
- preparing ad-hoc reports for rate applications, regulatory studies and other special studies as required;
- maintaining statistical databases and financial spreadsheets, summarizing information in appropriate presentation format.
- preparing and presenting written, graphical and oral reports and presentations to facilitate the preparation and understanding of budgets, variance reviews, costing analyses and other special projects, including recommending courses of action as appropriate.
Performs a variety of related duties such as local purchasing, fleet and facilities management and similar support duties as appropriate to assigned operational areas.
Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
- providing user input regarding system, information and reporting requirements;
- testing modifications and/or enhancements;
- conducting training sessions for the operational group as required.
Requirements Completion of third level of a recognized accounting program, such as CPA, or equivalent.
Three years directly related, relevant experience.
Demonstrated organizational, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and in teams.
Working knowledge of statistical analysis, cost benefit analysis and related analytical techniques.
Basic knowledge of computer systems operations, environment peripherals. Sound working knowledge of financial, work management, accounting, spreadsheet, and specialized software in use in the department.
Valid British Columbia drivers licence.