OverviewForeign & Commonwealth Office High Commissioner’s Residence Manager Contract in Ottawa, ON
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Branch Ottawa ON CA
High Commissioner’s Residence Manager
This package includes medical, dental, in addition to generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package….
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities) Applications are invited for the position of Residence Manager in the British High Commission in Ottawa. The position being offered will be on a temporary basis to cover a maternity leave, and will last for up to 12 months (TBC). The start date will be mid-October 2017, subject to our receipt of successful security clearances.
Working closely with the High Commissioner and her spouse, the successful candidate will be responsible for delivering high quality official events/functions at the High Commissioner’s official residence, Earnscliffe. He/she will also have management responsibility for a team of four Residence staff, and ensure proper upkeep of the Residence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and manage all official events at the Residence, working with the High Commissioner, British High Commission/Canada Network colleagues, external suppliers, other Residence staff and any additional casual staff required
- Monitor and manage the events budget
- Oversee Residence maintenance requirements, liaising with the High Commission’s Corporate Services/Estates team and ensuring follow-up
- Maintain all inventories and stock management
- Line-manage all members of the Residence staff and guide them in the performance of their duties
Essential qualifications and experience The successful applicant will have the following:
- Strong customer focus
- Good educational qualifications
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Computer-literacy in Word, Excel, Outlook
- Strong oral and written communication skills (in English)
- Adaptability, in particular for problem-solving and reacting quickly to changing plans
- Self motivation and initiative
- Proven experience in large and small scale event management;
- Proven experience in contracting and working with suppliers for goods and services;
Job requires frequent out of regular office hours work (evenings and weekends). Candidate is compensated by time off in lieu for the additional hours worked, above and beyond regular working hours.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Experience in an event management or related field
- Ability to speak French
- Experience working in a diplomatic setting
- Management experience leading a multidisciplinary team
Required competencies Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year 18 August 2017
Grade A2 (L)
Type of Position Full-time, Long Term Contract
Working hours per week 37.5
Region N. America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
Location (City) Ottawa
Type of Post British High Commission
Number of vacancies 1
Starting yearly salary (CAD) 48,162.00
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year 16 October 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment The position requires pre-existing legal status to live and work in Canada and will be subject to satisfactory reference checks and successful receipt of local and overseas security clearances.
The British Government Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, in addition to generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Canadian employment law.Hours may vary depending on event schedule and candidate must be able to work evenings and weekends when required. The appointment requires pre-existing legal status to live and work in Canada and will be subject to satisfactory references and local and overseas security clearances and a six month probation period.
Additional information Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 18 August 2017. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-08-11