OverviewFood Service I in Manning, AB
Alberta Health Services
Branch Manning AB CA
Food Service I
the Nutrition and Food Services computer program… of safe food handling techniques an asset. – Previous institutional food service experience preferred…
Under the direction of the Cook I/Cook II/Food Service Supervisor, performs a variety of routine tasks associated with the service of patient and resident meals including processing patient/resident information, participating in the meal service, operating simple equipment involved in collecting, sanitizing and storing dishes/supplies and assisting in the preparation of simple menu items including the completion of partially prepared foods, reheating of prepared entrées and slicing/portioning.
– Processes patient/resident information:
– Utilizes the Meditech computer program to obtain patient/resident information where applicable
– Updates Kardex information during the day, using the Nutrition and Food Services computer program where applicable
– Tallies from selective menus for meal service
– Photocopies and prepares selective menus for distribution where applicable
– Updates resident likes/dislikes, seating placement, room/juice/water jug, diet order/special utensils information on cards and lists as required
Participates in meal services:
– Pre-portions items for tray service
– Wraps cutlery
– Prepares tea and coffee
– Portions cold beverages and desserts
– Sets tables and prepares carts for meal service in Continuing Care
– Places pre-portioned cold and hot food items on patient trays according to selective menus and therapeutic diets
– Delivers carts to nursing units
– Serves meals and snacks to residents in the Continuing Care dining room
– Prepares and delivers snacks to patients
– Serves food items to staff and visitors in the cafeteria
– Operates the cash register, including receiving cash/making change and handling customer accounts
Operates simple equipment to collect and sanitize dishes and supplies:
– Strips trays as required
– Operates the dish machine and sanitizes dishes
– Washes pots, pans and steam table inserts
– Clears, cleans and sanitizes tables and placemats
– Stores clean dishes appropriately
– Uses appropriate Personal Protective Equipment for the procedure and follows departmental hazard identification and safety procedures
– Follows WHMIS guidelines for all chemicals used
Assists with the preparation of simple menu items:
– Prepares beverages, menu items from mixes/convenience foods and non-cooked food items such as sandwiches and salads
– Reheats prepared entrées and other foods
– Slices and portions menu items
Performs other related duties as assigned, but not limited to:
– Stores food and supplies in an appropriate manner
– Participates in Quality Assurance and Quality Control activities as directed
– Assists with training of new staff
– Participates in personal education/training and updates as required
– Any other duties as required
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
– Grade 10 or equivalent education and experience.
– WHMIS training an asset.
– Knowledge of verbal and written English, arithmetic and weights and measures.
– Knowledge of safe food handling techniques an asset.
– Previous institutional food service experience preferred.
– Ability to organize work effectively.
– Ability to work safely and follow area Occupational Health and Safety guidelines.
– Ability to communicate effectively and work in a team setting with a variety of clients.
– Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
– Ability to make simple mathematical calculations.
– Ability to stand for extended periods, bend and walk frequently during shift and push meal carts.
– Ability to operate small equipment such as coffee makers, dish washers, food processor, blender, steamers, combi-oven, juice dispenser, toaster, grinder, mixers, microwave oven, cash register and photocopier in a safe and effective manner, following guidelines.
– Evidence of following safe work practices in completing assigned tasks.
– Evidence of ability to work well in a team environment.
– Evidence of ability to work cooperatively with others.
– Evidence of ability to understand and practice the principles of safe food handling and sanitation guidelines.
– Evidence of thoroughness and accuracy in following procedures and special diet orders.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Manning, AB, CA
Posted on: 2014-09-13