OverviewFircroft Recruitment Health & Safety Advisor – HVdc Specialties Contract in Newfoundland and Labrador
Branch NL CA
Health & Safety Advisor – HVdc Specialties
Newfoundland and Labrador
Reporting to the Health, Safety, Security and Emergency Response (HSS&ER) Lead – HVdc Specialties, this position will provide site H&S oversight, and support…
Our client, a diverse Canadian Energy Company, plans new developments estimated at $12+ Billion over the next 5 years.
This position is open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only. Residents of Newfoundland & Labrador will be given first consideration for this position.
Reporting to the Health, Safety, Security and Emergency Response (HSS&ER) Lead – HVdc Specialties, this position will provide site H&S oversight, and support primarily for the construction of the substations, converter stations, and synchronous condensers and also construction of the transition compounds, electrode sites, and telecommunications
infrastructure for the Lower Churchill Project. Working closely with the field-based Area construction management team, the successful candidate will be responsible to ensure the implementation and maintenance of the Health and Safety Management System at the site level within the broader framework of LCMC’s guiding policies and principles. Working within the HVdc Specialties team, the H&S Advisor – HVdc Specialties is expected to incorporate industry best practices and strive for world-class performance in Health and Safety execution and full support of all construction site related initiatives.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of current applicable regulations, codes and industry best practices, and act as a resource to project management and construction line management.
- Support the implementation of the Project H&S Management System to reduce and / or eliminate incidents that may result in injuries, illnesses, deaths, environmental damage, and financial losses.
- Conduct routine audits of Contractor work activities to ensure overall compliance with the LCP H&S management system (policies, standards, safe work practices and safe work procedures) and issue formal auditing reports;
- Work with the construction management team in a coaching and guiding role to increase field level safety knowledge and presence.
- Conduct regular audits for contractor’s compliance with the contractor’s own H&S Plan and Management System (policies, standards, regulatory requirements, safe work practices and safe work procedures) and issue audit reports. This includes monitoring and close-out of report recommendations and informing Area Construction Manager whenever revisions to the contractor’s activities are required.
- Ensure contractors at the work face have fully implemented all aspects of their Health and Safety Plan and Emergency Response Plan utilizing periodic audits.
- Ensure contractors are adhering to local statutory requirements (e.g. OHS Act & Regulations) and other applicable provincial and federal requirements with respect to safety. Provide assistance and support in the compliance assessment and completion of federal and provincial OHS orders, issuances and variance applications, as warranted/required.
- Support the implementation of LCP Safety Incentive Program.
- Coordinate the participation in site drills to evaluate LCP Emergency Management capability and document actions in an actual response. Mitigating actions must be assigned to key individuals and tracked to completion.
- Monitor H&S performance at each work site, site workforce, including contractors.
- Routinely monitor the application of drug and alcohol testing is executed prior to going to work site, including chain of custody and controls, pre-access and post incident testing ensuring all testing is in full compliance with the LCP Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Periodically review work site security management activities to ensure compliance with approved security management plans.
- Participate in site Risk Assessments and ensure that all mitigation measures are fully implemented.
- Ensure all construction activities at each worksite are carried out safely.
- Assist with presenting H&S orientation programs for all LCMC team and contractors prior to their arrival at any worksite.
- Provide input into contractor’s construction safety programs and safe work practices.
- Review H&S performance metrics, including all leading and lagging indicators.
- Generate Health and Safety reporting from the site, including input into the Site Daily report as appropriate.
- Assist with the conduct of a formal incident investigation / root cause analysis. Review contractor’s incident investigation report for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure any and all lessons learned are captured and reflected in on-going work as appropriate in order to deliver upon the continuous improvement mind-set.
- Ensure records, files, and reports are maintained at the Site location until the end of the Project.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience as an H&S Advisor implementing Health and Safety programs for significant construction projects.
- Experience with electrical substation construction considered a key asset.
- Candidate should have loss prevention experience and working knowledge in areas such as: working around energized systems, incident/injury prevention, hazard identification, qualitative and quantitative risk analysis, behavioural safety programs, and incident investigation.
- Experience working with contractors to ensure their health and Safety Systems Application meets or exceeds client’s minimum requirements.
- Good working knowledge of H&S Management System Auditing.
- Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety Regulatory Requirements and Construction Industry Best Practices.
- Competent in conducting and/or supporting risk assessments on site.
- Experience interfacing with Control / Permit to work systems of connecting new assets to existing energized systems.
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
- Formal training in occupational health and safety.
- Engineering Technologist Diploma or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certified Auditor training in ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 or ISO 18001 are desirable.
- CRSP, CSP or equivalent designation is an asset.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: , NL, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24