Employment Type: Freelance
Posted on: 2018-01-10
Family SOS Children & Youth Program Coordinator Contract in Halifax, NS
Branch Halifax NS CA
Children & Youth Program Coordinator
Accountable for the financial management of the children and youth programs. Children & Youth Program Coordinator*….
Job Title: Children & Youth Program Coordinator
Job Description: Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Coordinator will implement and facilitate all children and youth programs of Family SOS.
- Supervise and manage the Healthy Kidz/Teenz staff and volunteers.
- Deliver and or facilitate direct programming such as the after-school children’s program, all school based programs, summer programming and other activities as required.
- Maintain the physical upkeep of the all program sites (Halifax, Dartmouth & Spryfield).
- Employ best practices in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and coinciding reporting.
- Effectively mediate with staff, participants, parents/guardians and community members.
- Complete documentation as required; this may include case notes, registration for programming, statistical records, assist with grant writing.
- Engage in community development within the Healthy Kidz/Teenz neighbourhoods, including the participation in and organization of community events.
- Coordinate and facilitate regular Healthy Kidz/Teenz staff meetings.
- Interview, hire and dismiss part-time staff, students and volunteers.
- Effectively manage time and resources between programming locations.
- Accountable for the financial management of the children and youth programs.
- Must possess a high level of organization and time-management skills.
- Must be able to model a healthy lifestyle.
- Provide crisis intervention as required.
- Provide clients with advocacy, information, resources and referrals to other community agencies as required.
- Understand the systemic barriers, including discrimination that affect the clients we serve.
- Knowledge of childhood development and “at-risk” factors.
- Understanding the responsibility of reporting any suspected abuse or neglect against a child to the Department of Community Services.
Status: 37.5 hours a week .
Duration: February 1st 2018 – June 2018 The successful candidate will be covering the remainder of a maternity leave.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Participation in supervision and staff meetings.
- Participation in committees external to agency as required.
- Participation in various other community initiated events.
- Prompt attention to incident reporting.
Qualifications and Skills
- 3 years’ relevant experience considered an asset.
- Ability to be flexible in terms of hours of work to meet the needs of programming.
- Ability to maintain positive and professionally appropriate relationships with colleagues, other professionals/partners and supervisor.
- Ability to contribute in a positive manner to the functioning and health of the organization.
- Good problem solving and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must have a valid Class 5 Drivers License and daily access to a dependable vehicle.
- Must be available Monday-Friday between 10:00am-5:30pm.
Job Type: Contract
- considered an asset: 3 years